UL Label for PLC Panel

A

ATC

I build PLC panel parttime on the side in my garage and wishes to know how I can obtain a UL label for the panel. Is there a network of UL inspector that can visit, inspect and give the UL label? How much would one of these inspector cost? Thanks for the help.

Contact UL, they will be happy to charge you an arm and a leg to have someone come and inspect then place a label on your panel. Most of the time they will find something that they will make you change before inspecting the panel. UL is just the biggest scam arround. Many devices that bear the ul label in your home are the most dangerous electrical device that you could get.

You need to be UL certified. That means you pay UL to become certified approx $3000. There are then standards that you have use when building your panels. We found it was easier to use a panel shop that was already certified. The process also takes time approx 6 months.

R

Randy Iserman

I have had to hire a UL certified inspector before when panels arrived on-site without UL labels. Basicly, you need to show that all of the components are listed or labeled before he will certify the panel. Cost was about $3K plus expenses (air travel, lodging, meals) plus the week of preparation, and hand-holding. If something is not right, it's another $3K to have him come back! If the local inspector requires it, it's the only way to go.

Randy Iserman
driserman @aol.com

Why is the UL Label necesary?

In Spain there doesn´t exist anything like this , or might have another name.

Thanks for your answer.

B

Bob Peterson

"http://www.ul.com/field/index.html":http://www.ul.com/field/index.html

quoting from the web page:

"Field Evaluations are on-site safety evaluations conducted by experienced UL technical staff members. They include examination and testing of equipment that has already been installed in the field. If the equipment complies with UL's requirements, the Field Evaluated Product Mark is applied.

Typical products eligible for Field Evaluation Service include:

Industrial Control Panels (ICP),
Lighting Fixtures,
Factory Automation Equipment,
Robotic Equipment,
Industrial Conveyors,
Amusement Games and
Panelboards. "

I have never had to do this, but as I understand it, it can become pricey. Much better to have a UL panel shop do the work for you up front, or become one yourself if the requirement is for enough to make it worthwhile.

None of the UL requirements are very picky, although there are some labeling requirements that take some getting used to, but except for the labeling requirements, most panel shops that do quality work will have no problem becoming a UL shop. It is not free though.

M
You have to CE mark panels in Spain and in the rest of Europe. In most cases this is self certified but you must still provide a technical construction file on demend in order to prove that you have taken steps to comply with all applicable legislation.

For example, Machinery Safety, Low Voltage Directive, EMC directive ........