'Universal' Prox Sensors

B

Bob Welker

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of 'universal' capacitive and inductive DC proximity sensors?

By this I mean one that can be configured for both normally open and normally closed operation in both NPN and PNP modes, so benchstock can be reduced to, for instance, a single 30mm DC prox swttch, rather than needing to keep either 4 different types or (as I've already found from some manufacturers) 2 types - a PNP,NO/NC, and NPN,NO/NC.

Banner makes some photoeyes that can set up this way ... if I recall correctly, by changing the supply wire polarity for NO/NC, and a switch for NPN to PNP ... but I've never seen a prox switch
with the same capability.

Any help appreciated.

Bob

B
I'm not sure if it helps you, but Efector makes a two wire DC prox that can be wired for NO or NC by reversing the polarity.

Bill Sturm

W
I don't think so. Just to make sure, I just went through the Turck and Efector books, and you are right.

I don't think you can have both a PNP and NPN in the same housing. They are (at least in the Motorola Hall Effect book) different chips.

Walt Boyes

----------------------------------------------------------
Walt Boyes--MarketingPractice Consultants
21118 SE 278th Place - Maple Valley, WA 98038
425-432-8262 home office - 253-709-5046 cellphone
eFax: 801-749-7142 - email: [email protected]
http://www.waltboyes.com

C

Chris Corder

Try Square D. If I recall, their Telemecanique proxes have that capability.

Chris Corder
Sales and Marketing Manager
HMS America Inc.

phone: 773-404-2406
email: [email protected]
fax: 773-404-1797
web: www.anybus.com

1925 N. Clybourn #300
Chicago, IL 60614

A

Anthony Kerstens

What about proxies with relay contacts. I know
Allen Bradley makes such a beast.

Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

B
Thanks, Walt,

I thought as much. I'm idly wondering how much it would cost for a sensor manufacturer to include both chips, and a means to select between them, because (if the additional cost were only a couple of bucks) it'd be worth it from my vantage point.

Bob

W
Speaking as a former manufacturer of Hall Effect sensors (for flow not prox, but same issue), it would approximately double the manufacturing cost. This would translate to something between a
50% and 100% pricing premium. Is it worth that much?

Walt Boyes

Walt Boyes--MarketingPractice Consultants
21118 SE 278th Place - Maple Valley, WA 98038
425-432-8262 home office - 253-709-5046 cellphone
eFax: 801-749-7142 - email: [email protected]
http://www.waltboyes.com

G
Allen Bradley makes the NO/NC/PNP/NPN DC inductive prox's as well as relay output. it just came out and is only on their website.