Updated Basic Program?

K

Ken Rodd

I wrote a simple Basic program to run on my laptop
several years ago using Microsoft Qbasic which I
compiled using Robert Zale's Powerbasic 3.2.

I would like to rewrite the program to take advantage of the better resolution afforded by an 800 X 600 monitor (as opposed to 640 X 480).

Do Basic programs with more modern screen modes, etc exist, or with an updated set of basic commands? Where can I obtain such a program if at all? Or would someone suggest an entirely different approach?

G

Greg Goodman

> Or would someone suggest an entirely different approach?

that depends. what does your program do?

> > Or would someone suggest an entirely different approach?
>
> that depends. what does your program do?

The program assigns a color to each screen pixel line by line according to the output of a series of calculations. It starts at pixel 1 in the upper left hand corner of the screen and paints left to right scanning to the next row of pixels until the entire screen is painted. I would like to update the program for the best possible pixel by pixel resolution (800 X 600). The Qbasic program I originally used would only support 600 X 480 resolution, and only 16 colors.

Most Microsoft Office programs have vba (visual basic for applications) included. It only gets as hairy as you want it to be and sort of follows the qbasic syntax. You are probably going to end up there sooner or later if you keep with basic.