Upgradation of Yokogawa Centum VP release

Anybody here, who has upgraded their Centum CS3000 or Centum VP R4.02 system to latest Centum release i.e., Centum VP R6.09?
What hardware and software changes incurred in the process of upgradation?? Kindly share your experiences and guide me in this regard.

Apparently no one with that direct experience is around to answer.

My tangential experience with DCS is that any DCS vendor will gladly tell you (after 3 or 4 preliminary meetings) how much it will cost to upgrade and list out the hardware and software in a compact 20 page quotation. Since Yokogawa is the only one that can provide the licensed software, you'll have to deal with them anyhow. Why not start there?

I cannot comment on upgrading CS3000.
VP R4.02 to R6 not sure if you can skip R5. Yokogawa can advise. There are a few differences between R4 & R6 so its not just a rev up with a few disks. Hope you have an LCA agreement. It is best to do a tech refresh on your computing hardware and build the new R6 on that. Once tested in test environment you can cut it over.

R4 is Win7; R6 is Win 10/Server2016 only, so you will need to replace all your server/workstation/HIS hardware.

R4 & R5 have the same licencing model. Everything changes for R6. Your old licences get migrated over as part of the change so you get to keep features you have already bought like engineering, trending, FCS expansions and things like that. But you have to buy a new licence for R6 and the price is based on physical and virtual IO count. And you cant fudge the numbers because a software tool is used to scan your system to collect the IO count, FCS's, licence key, software and patch versions etc.

Additional upgrades to be done include Exaquatum, ExaOPC as a minimum they will be version upgrades. If you have a UGS you will likely need new servers running Winserver 2016.

If you are using AFV10/30 etc series FCS's then they are unaffected by R4 to R6 change. I cant comment on other controller hardware.
If you are using your own WSUS to keep windows for the Yokogawa updated then you will need to replace it with a Win2010/Server2016 one.
Start talking to your local Yokogawa systems manager they can advise exactly what you need. It usually take a couple of calls, a site visit, about 6 months of prep and the amount of money required is proportional to the size of your system and how many pieces need changing.

I cannot comment on upgrading CS3000.
VP R4.02 to R6 not sure if you can skip R5. Yokogawa can advise. There are a few differences between R4 & R6 so its not just a rev up with a few disks. Hope you have an LCA agreement. It is best to do a tech refresh on your computing hardware and build the new R6 on that. Once tested in test environment you can cut it over.

R4 is Win7; R6 is Win 10/Server2016 only, so you will need to replace all your server/workstation/HIS hardware.

R4 & R5 have the same licencing model. Everything changes for R6. Your old licences get migrated over as part of the change so you get to keep features you have already bought like engineering, trending, FCS expansions and things like that. But you have to buy a new licence for R6 and the price is based on physical and virtual IO count. And you cant fudge the numbers because a software tool is used to scan your system to collect the IO count, FCS's, licence key, software and patch versions etc.

Additional upgrades to be done include Exaquatum, ExaOPC as a minimum they will be version upgrades. If you have a UGS you will likely need new servers running Winserver 2016.

If you are using AFV10/30 etc series FCS's then they are unaffected by R4 to R6 change. I cant comment on other controller hardware.
If you are using your own WSUS to keep windows for the Yokogawa updated then you will need to replace it with a Win2010/Server2016 one.
Start talking to your local Yokogawa systems manager they can advise exactly what you need. It usually take a couple of calls, a site visit, about 6 months of prep and the amount of money required is proportional to the size of your system and how many pieces need changing.
Hi dear,
We are using AFV10D series FCS. and I want to specifically know about any hardware changes (on Control I/O panels side + Operator stations side) during our migration.
For shifting from Centum VP R4.02 to Centum VP R6.09 we will definitely shift from Win 7 32 bit OS to Win 10 64 bit OS. We are not using WSUS, we have to buy the Windows licenses.
We are using VNet card (pictures attached) with our current configuration, are these cards compatible with Centum VP R6 or change??

Attachments

Nothing changes on FCS or IO side when changing Centum VP R4 to Centum VP R6 versions. The software changes and you will need to do offline down loads.
Yokogawa will usually quote a replacement Vnet card for each new HIS hardware you buy. My experience Its not a must buy as the old cards still seem to work in newer pc hardware. warning on that, if you bought your pc hardware for R4 then going to Win10 & R6 then pc hardware has changed dramatically so the old cards may not work. for the small cost of the card compared to the cost of the rest its a value investment to know you have all new compatible/tested parts.

Nothing changes on FCS or IO side when changing Centum VP R4 to Centum VP R6 versions. The software changes and you will need to do offline down loads.
Yokogawa will usually quote a replacement Vnet card for each new HIS hardware you buy. My experience Its not a must buy as the old cards still seem to work in newer pc hardware. warning on that, if you bought your pc hardware for R4 then going to Win10 & R6 then pc hardware has changed dramatically so the old cards may not work. for the small cost of the card compared to the cost of the rest its a value investment to know you have all new compatible/tested parts.
Mate, I am thinking to buy Dell Precision 3650 workstations as HIS hardware. Its motherboard has one PCI-32 slot, that could support our current VNet cards.

https://www.dell.com/support/manual...b1eb84-0c9d-4d7a-a03d-963321ee94fa&lang=en-us

If you have info about any other Yokogawa recommended workstations/PCs then do share please.

I cant comment or recommend alternative hardware that you may be considering. You can consider your selection against a Yokogawa provided product, for that information try a search for a "Yokogawa YG1SY01"

Hi dear,
We are using AFV10D series FCS. and I want to specifically know about any hardware changes (on Control I/O panels side + Operator stations side) during our migration.
For shifting from Centum VP R4.02 to Centum VP R6.09 we will definitely shift from Win 7 32 bit OS to Win 10 64 bit OS. We are not using WSUS, we have to buy the Windows licenses.
We are using VNet card (pictures attached) with our current configuration, are these cards compatible with Centum VP R6 or change??
The Vnet card in your pictures is VI701 which has been discontinued and is using the PCI interface. The replacement type VI702 is using is having the PCI-e (PCI express) interface and the PCI-e is faster and with a smaller slot. Most new workstations will have multiple PCIe slots. In my opinion, it's better to replace the workstations and the Vnet card with VI702.

As I know, HP Z4 series workstations are compatible and Yokogawa uses them for new projects and upgrades.

The Vnet card in your pictures is VI701 which has been discontinued and is using the PCI interface. The replacement type VI702 is using is having the PCI-e (PCI express) interface and the PCI-e is faster and with a smaller slot. Most new workstations will have multiple PCIe slots. In my opinion, it's better to replace the workstations and the Vnet card with VI702.

As I know, HP Z4 series workstations are compatible and Yokogawa uses them for new projects and upgrades.
Thanks Alan Ng,
I am figuring out that how much hardware will need replacement while upgrading the software.

i don't know if this could be helpfull for you after one year of putting the question anyway we did an upgrade from CS3000 to CENTUM VP R6 there were some changes on the FCS side (CPU node with its accessories) for the IO nodes we kept the old ones for the network CS3000 uses the good old VNET with coax cable when CENTUM VP uses Vnet/IP so we had to install new switches (Hirscheman for the bus 1 and 2 and Cisco catalytic for the Ethernet network)of cours all the cables have been changed with an RJ45 Ethernet Cat6 cables for the HIS we changed them with more modern ones from DELL workstations equipped with WINDOWS OS 10 64 bit ( we removed all the hubs and YNT because everything now is on the switches)