Upgrading My Skill Set?

H

Harvard07

As a 73 year young Electronic type I have made a "lone ranger" career of developing MS C++ 6.0 communication DLLs that I call from MS VB6.0 HMI interfaces.

Having just landed a new Modbus Communications project I am contemplating a skill set update to C# DLLs and VB.NET HMIs.

Question: Is the C# and VB.NET going to be just as flexible as the MS 6.0 tools of the past?

Just as flexible?

Of course the short answer is no, but probably sufficiently flexible, however I'm no expert on the subject.

When vb dot net came out years ago I took a New Horzons course and I was pleasantly surprised at the expertise of the instructor. I did play around with visual studio 2003 and wrote a couple of vb dot net programs. I did write a stand alone Borland C++ Builder program. That was used by a milk plant until they were bought out.

C# does garbage collection for you which is nice and makes memory leaks less likely. While dot net gives you a leg up out of DLL hell you still may have framework version issues to deal with. I know this is not a lot of help as I have been away from it for about three years. Hope someone else can dive deeper 4 U.

This is hard to believe.

A DLL written in MS Visual C++ 6.0 successfully imported and converted using Visual Studio 2005 and this VS2005 version is also working with VS2015 VB.NET app on a Windows 10 Machine.

The VB6 app that uses the above DLL had to go a VS2005 VB.NET conversion which was in turn put through a VS2015 VB.NET conversion. The only part that did not work (on first try) in VS2015 VB.NET was the TCP Client.

If I knew it was going to be this easy I would have converted a long time ago....BUT...as the saying goes you cannot teach an old dog new tricks. :) :) :)

oh heck yeah. I thought you were asking more language specific questions. The newer Visual Studios are fantastic. That's why MS changed vb to vb.net. It was so they could add it to the suite of languages usable under one development environment.

Enjoy the ride!