USB Modbus Plus adapter

G

Gbrown

All I have found is the one from Schneider TSXCUSB232. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with this device.

GBrown

This module works fine. Only issue is to use the same USB port all the time. The driver only recognizes a max of 2 devices so if you keep moving it to a new port, each time it installs another device, and soon the driver stops working.

Beware of 3rd party devices. They connect and pass data but do NOT permit programming.

USB is not suitable for SCADA communications. There is a reason why there is so little support for it.

It sounds like you have had some personal bad experience with this. Can you expand on what happened or why you make this statement?

I will have a hard time taking just that statement to my manager as to why his USB approach is a bad idea.

What is your opinion on the devices that translate ethernet to MB+ such as the MEB devices?

Thanks

I work with with this adapter. Work fine but if you connect them to a different port it will get address 1.

If address 1 is an address of another device like plc it can be a disaster.

address 1 should never be an address of a device in a mb+ network.
I have an old plc with address 1 but we will soon exchange him with a new one.

Because of this dangers, I put the adapter and the connector inside the PC, to prevent from people to change the connectors.

Robert

The TSXCUSB232 provides USB/Modbus connectivity. If you want Modbus Plus, look for Schneider Electric's TSXCUSBMBP adapter. That will provide the full functionality and performance of a PCI-85 or other such internal adapter, but with the flexibility of using the USB port instead.

The TSXCUSBMBP comes with a disk containing drivers for 32-bit operating systems, but if you want to use 64-bit Windows, you can get the necessary drivers from Cyberlogic Technologies at www.cyberlogic.com. That includes support for 32 and 64 bit editions of Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, Server 2008 and Server 2003.

<i>(Note that some early revisions of the TSXCUSBMBP came with drivers that emulated a COM port and had severe performance limitations. The original drivers were discontinued by Schneider and the current drivers, provided by Cyberlogic, were completely rewritten to eliminate all of those issues.)</i>