USB Serial Cable Interface With RS-485

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I have just purchased a Toshiba P10 laptop and a Wiretek USB-Serial cable to interface with RS485. It is use to control an audio Digital Signal Processor (DSP) during the concert setup, but it does not communicate with the DSP.

Please advise what should I do? Is there any REAL Serial Interface in the market that is able to use for my laptop?

Thank you.

Some of the cheaper USB serial devices are just that CHEAP. Try going to B&B electronics and check out the EDGEPORT/1. This have proved out to work very well in many industrial applications. It has better timing then many of the basic devices.

Short Answer i Found is NOPE!
I too bought a new laptop and i used a usb to rs232 interface and i can do lots with it with most programs but for example i can not download to bristol's with it however i can do everything else i need to with the bristols but the interface will not download and i've tryed to modify setting and everything. In the end i just needed to buy a different laptop with an on board serail port and it works great. However to talk rs485 i've found a product that "blackbox" sells and it's the cheapest i've found to go from rs-232 to rs-485. But i think You'll have to buy a different laptop.

You need a USB to Serial CONVERTOR. Try one from "Belkin". I tried it before and it worked for some applications but not all. The best is to have a Laptop with a serial port.

There are several PCMCIA serial devices available that are real serial ports, not emulated ones. I had a similar problem and found several manufacturers of them on the net.

Yes there are several manufacturers of PCMCIA serial port cards. They work with everything I've tried including Bristols, ROCs, even data analyzer software. NI has them available in single port or double port.

The USB converters just do not work as reliably as these.
Please try this before you go and buy a new computer as it should enable you to talk to most anything via RS232/485

Good Luck!
Tim