usb to serial converter for PL7, Magelis terminal and lexium Drives

R

Rajesh bajpe

recently i purchased note book for the purpose of programing PLC. but it doesn't have serial port. instead it has usb port. my question is if we use USB to Serial Converter cable would i be able to communicate with PLC? or do i need to use PCMCIA card based converter? Please advise.

You just use cnverter to transfer USB to Serial
port, then you can communicate with PLC,but if you use MITSUBISH PLC, it does not work.

It really depends on the PLC and what kind of response time it expects. USB introduces higher latencies in comparison to regular serial ports. Beware of inexpensive UART based serial converters. They usually have very high latency response times and are hit or miss if they even work at all. Instead, look for a USB to serial converter that uses a dedicated ASIC (like the FTDI chip) since those have lower latencies and are typically much more reliable.

Sealevel Systems offers several USB to serial converters and their 2105 may be what you are looking for: http://www.sealevel.com/products.asp?bus_id=5

If you find that you need a PCMCIA card, they offer those, too. Check out their 3603: http://www.sealevel.com/products.asp?bus_id=3

Depends what PLC your'e using. I found that Keyspan works with GE Fanuc 90/70 but not AB. Belkin works with AB but not GE Fanuc. Carry an assortment of USB to serial converters.

R

Robert Scott

The USB to serial converter appears just like any serial port to Windows applications, provided they use the normal serial port functions in Windows and don't try to talk to USART registers themselves. Some old DOS-based PLC communication programs will have trouble with the USB version, but modern programs written for Windows will work just fine.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Embedded Systems Consulting

i recommend that you use serial PCMCIA card. i had this configuration on my notebook and i can communicate with Siemens S5, S7-200, Telemecanique TSX07, TSX37, Twido, Magelis XBTs on DOS or Windows OS.

My serial PCMCIA card is QUATECH SSP-100

FYI, L3 premium using PL7 is now available with USB cable, pls contact nearest Schneider vendor.

I was successful using PCMCIA card, but USB to serial converter cable, I'm not sure.

You can purchase a USB / Serial convertor for use with PL7 software. The cable is TSXPCX3030. Available of Schneider Electric. This cable works with PL7 V4.3 or greater, for windows 2000, and XP. It is a single cable with USB st one end and mini Din at the other.

Schneider Electric now offer a USB cable for the XBTL1000 software. You ideally need XBTL1000 V4.42 the latest (May 05). You can then use the standard XBTZ915 and XBTZ962 (adapter for XBTF graphical units). On top of this you need a new cable SR2CBL06 which is a serial to USB convertor to be used in conjunction with the two previousl me ntioned cables. The SR2CBL06 convertor cable comes with drivers for Windows XP and 2000 only. This cble is used with the Telemecanique Zelio Sr2 & SR3 smart relays.

This works I have used both of the above.

Hello,

I have no success of communication between Micro and PC windows XP/2000. My cable is TSXPCX3030. I have PL7PRO ver4. Will this version4 work? Can you advise me.

Regards,
Mehta