USB to Serial RS232 Ports

G

garnett

I was wondering if the group, has any good experience with USB-RS232 converters, and may recommend one to me. We have had experience with one version and it froze up quite a bit.

Regards,

Garnet

J

James Ingraham

In my experience, they've been a mixed bag. It seems to depend greatly on the software you're using to try and talk on that comm port; I have no idea why this is. When it works, it tends to work great. When it doesn't work, it doesn't work at all. I have not experienced a lock-up after time.

We've been using a part from IOGear, which CDW sells (CDW part number 261218). There doesn't seem to be any disadvantage compared to the "industrial" versions offered by Kontron or Black Box.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

D

Donald Pittendrigh

Hi All

I have used Y-mouse USB to serial converters in an industrial thin client application with very good results.

Regards
Donald Pittendrigh

W
Is this the same Y-Mouse who used to make the Keyboard/mouse adaptors for laptops? They are a great company to work with.

Walt Boyes

---------SPITZER AND BOYES, LLC-------------
"Consulting from the engineer
to the distribution channel"
www.spitzerandboyes.com
[email protected]
21118 SE 278th Place
Maple Valley, WA 98038
253-709-5046 cell 425-432-8262 home office
fax:801-749-7142
--------------------------------------------

B
I bought one on EBay that is made by a company called Bafo. It works perfectly and it is very small. I had a little trouble finding the right driver on the CD the first time, but after that, no troubles.

Bill Sturm

I use standard USB-RS232 converter. The software driver map it to COM4. My PLC programming tool (not all of them) are able to communicate using COM port higher then 2. Then there is no problem with downloading projects and so on.

To be honest I have no choice. I have Compaq Evo 160 and it has not RS232 ports while I need them for PLCs.

Regards,
maciej g