Use a 1.5KW VFD inverter to control a 90 Watts motor

W

Winston

I have a 1.5 KW VFD inverter on the field. I would like to use it to drive a 90 watt 3 phase motor for speed control application. The motor has a gear box 700:1. The linear speed of the roller are about 1 mm/sec, and the torque is about 40 N*M.

But I think the motor power rating is too small and will create a missmatch with the inverter (1.5KW). Does anyone have experience of using 1.5 KW VFD to control small motor?

G
I'm using 1.5 KW ABB VFD for Boiler coal feeder Application. This is 1 month old installation. Motor & VFD's are of same capacity(1.5KW). I think if we know the Exact maximum torque required by our application & that delivered by the VFD; then it is easy to choose the VFD.

ghate Vinod
ghatevinod [at] gmail.com

Dear Mr. Vinod,

Coal feeder is constant torque application. So its depends on the vfd model which VFD u used.

Regards,
Gunjan Ruparelia

S

scadametrics

Winston,

Just keep in mind that the 1.5KVA drive's internal overload trip point will be much higher than you would want for a 90W motor.

Therefore, you should use external circuit protection (external to the drive) that is sized for the 90W motor -- not the 1.5KVA drive.

Hope this helps!