use load cell for steering torque measurement

M

Mo

Hi,

I am trying to apply a load cell into steering torque measuring but still have no explicit idea how to do it. If anyone happened to have any experience of this I'll be happy to learn it.

Initially I tend to install this load cell (http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=LCL&nav=pref07) on the spokes of handwheel but my question is in what kind of way to put it on is practical. Of course you have any other good torque sensor to recommend, I'll be also glad. My steering effort won't exceed 20Nm I think. Thanks.

Regards,
Mo

C

Curt Wuollet

There are (or at least were) torque load cells. Just a bar with strain gauges glued in the right orientation will do. Suggest you google torque
measurement. You can do this with a bender by setting in up as a crank joined with a shaft that is bent appropriately. The bender is attached so
it extends 90 degrees from the first shaft and the other end is attached to a shaft with two 90 degree bends to bring it in line with the first shaft. I hope that is clear enough. You need swing room for that method.

Regards

cww

R

RichardWargo

Well, to begin with, load cells essentially measure pressure, not displacement, so you won't get much turning with your steering wheel. Would work better with a force joystick arrangement.

What you need is a rotational torque sensor like what is used on a large extruder to measure screw torque as it rotates. I would help, but all I know are large industrial units, not small research type units. Actually, with large units, we tend to use variable speed drives with torque derived from the forward and back EMF.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. If he builds the steering colums as two concentric tubes for instance, torque coupled through the load cell, it should work. The wheel probably only needs to turn +/- a turn and a half or so from the neutral position so festooning the load cell wires should be feasible.