Using 1756 I/O Controllogix with Experion PKS

G

George Robertson

Can the 1756 ControlLogix I/O from Rockwell be used directly in an Experion PKS rack and vice/versa? They are the same gadgets (I/O cards) but I suspect that each company diddled the firmware to prevent this sort of competition.

G

George Robertson

Guess I'll reply to my own message. Not sure about going from Rockwell to Honewell, but the Honeywell cards work fine in the Rockwell racks. All you have to do is disable keying.

T

Tull, Leith \(Rockwell at Alcoa\)

The 1756 I/O was developed by Rockwell. Honeywell in a partnership with rockwell use this platform for all of their I/O for Experion PKS systems and have added some of thier own firmware revisions to it. The Rockwell configuration allows the disabling of keying so that any of the firmware versions created can be used. The Honeywell system dosent have this function easilt available and will only normally recognise their own firmware revision of the cards and occasionally some rockwell ones that are close to it. Also depends on the type of card - discrete I/O is alot easier to change between systems than intelligent comms cards for instance

Leith Tull Rockwell Automation Perth WA

J

Jigar Shah, Tata Honeywell

Incidentally I have just completed a project with Experion PKs communication to 1756 ControlLogix system.

Firstly an direct answer to the question that can ControlLogix IO be directly addressed by Experion C200 Controlbuilder? The answer is NO.

However for allowing DH+ communication, 1756-DHRIO is the only module as per my knowledge that is accepted in C200 IO Chassis and it has to be flashed separately and not from PKS.

Next let me brief u about my project which might be of any help to you.

At two sites we have ControlLogix replacing old PLC3 and Experion replacing old Unix based DCS. Here PKS Scada is used and databas is created which access ControlLogix Processor on Controlnet and not directly the IO modules. For this a 1784-PCIC Controlnet interfac card is mounted in the PKS server for Controlnet to ControlLogix.

What is also needed is RSLinx which anyway is bundled in Honeywell PKS Software pack.

The limitation that PKS Scada has in case of Controllers being built in Server is that not more than 32 ControlLogix files can be addressed in single controller. due to this we had to built 2 controllers to accomodate all the ControlLogix files. Lastly on ControlLogix side the PLC5/SLC map has to be created which is instrumental in connected the read/write request from PKS (or any other device which can not understand ControlLogix addressing) to ControlLogix. In short PKS communicates with ControlLogix as if it is an PLC5 processor.

Should you wish to know any more details, feel free to mail me.

Jigar Shah
Tata Honeywell Ltd
web email - [email protected]