Using a bit-shift register to track a product

M

M.Mulder

Hi everybody,

I want to use a bit-shift register (BSL) to track a product. I´m using 12 conveyor´s and on the end of each conveyor there is a photoeye.

When the product is arrived the first conveyor, the conveyor1 is running.
When the product is arrived on the end of conveyor1 (photoeye is '1') the conveyor 1 and 2 are running.
When the product is arrived on the end of conveyor2 (photoeye is '1') conveyor 2 and 3 are running and conveyor1 is stopped (if there is no new product).etc. etc.

How can I use a bit-shift register for this? I want to now on which conveyor the product is arrived. Can anyone help me?

Greetings,

mulderm

May I suggest a simpler way? Use latching contacts to drive the individual conveyor motors:

Sensor 1 turns on (Lead Edge) -> Turn On Conveyor 2 Sensor 1 turns off (Trail Edge) -> Turn Off Conveyor 1 Sensor 2 turns on (Lead Edge) -> Turn On Conveyor 3 Sensor 2 turns off (Trail Edge -> Turn Off Conveyor 2 and so on...

How many products are on the conveyor at one time? Can you have multiple products in one conveyor section? In that case, use the lead edge to upcount products on the next conveyor, and trail edge of next sensor to downcount, and run that conveyor section as long as the count is nonzero.

(That is basically what the aforementioned latches do, but could only count from 0 to 1 and back to 0 ;-)

Does this do what you intend?

Rufus

(Actually, I say it's a simpler way because I never used BSL's)

Thank you Rufus.
Because I have a language problem see the
article on 26 juli for the better specification.

Greetings,

mulderm

Dear mulderm.

You can use any PLC with (prefereble word) shift register.
Assign a number to each of the product in the line including a number for No product. As soon the product go into the first conveyor photo eye, enable the movement into the conveyor only when the operator acknowdge the corresponding push button for the product.

like wise all product (data) can be entered into in order. The register will advance as when the first product leaves the last point. You can visually see on any suitable screen where is the exact location of the product. You also can assign individual process for each product as they reach different locations based on the numbers assigned.

regards,
Sekar,
Singapore

Dear Sekar,

Must I have use 12 shift-registers to see the exact location of the product to an conveyor (12 in total). Or is there another way?

Kind Regards,

mulderm