Using a smartphone to communicate with RSLogix

M

Mark

i'm a fresh graduate and very much interested in PLC's. i have knowledge on RS5000. can u give me an idea how could i connect and control my RSlogix via a smartphone? thank you so much.

my mail is [email protected].

please help me. i'm very interested in this field. but i'm an electrical engineer. i have very limited knowledge on communication.

Mark

B

Bob Peterson

I don't know what you mean by "connect and control".

RSLogix is a software package that runs in Windows.

You might be able to find some kind of remote connection software that runs on your phone that can connect to a windows PC that is running RSLogix. I doubt the small screen would be of any real use though.

There are plenty of options for a view port into the PLC hardware platforms that RSLogix is used to program though that would work on your phone.

G

Gerald Beaudoin

From what I have seen of trying to control anything via a Smartphone, other than simple on/off is about the limit. The screen size seriously limits the amount of information that you can display without zooming, and then once zoomed, the context becomes obscured. For what you are describing, a tablet sized screen would seem to be a bare minimum.

I made a custom programs using VB.NET that I use to control automation systems with a smartphone (Android and Windows Mobile, not for IPhone as it needs an Apple licence). The custom programs I wrote have one running on a computer that is connected via Ethernet to the RSLogix PLC and the other program runs on the smartphone connected to the computer over WiFi.

Y
Very much so. I saw someone mention team viewer. Any Remote Desktop application that allows you to remotely control the pc from your phone will do it. I remotely remote in all the time for troubleshooting at work. It's technically not a dedicated Plc logic control app, but rather a way to remotely gain access to what's already on your computer.

> i'm a fresh graduate and very much interested in PLC's. i have
> knowledge on RS5000. can u give me an idea how could i connect and
> control my RSlogix via a smartphone? thank you so much.