Using AVR (was Getting ready for the firstrelease!)

K

Ken E.

Hi Ken,

I am familiar with AVR and have written some code with the GCC port and it is not like the envirnment we are used to under linux. It may be possible to use some of the STL interpreter code and port it to AVR GCC and this would give you the main logic solve module, but this leaves a lot to be done. It still might be useful to use some of the puffin interpreter code and port it to an embedded processor (interesting). I don't mean to speak for everyone, but it seems outside of the bounds of this project, unless there are others out there in need of something like this. It certainly would make for a cheap controller!!!

What about using C ?? This is ideal for the AVR if you can set up a good environment. If you set up good function calls it can be similar to a good text language (I am asking for flame mail by suggesting using C, I know, but I like it!!)

~Ken Emmons Jr

Ken Wood wrote:
>another head first newbie...
>I too have been watching this project for a quite some time.
>I currently program Mitsubishi FX2N's at work.
>
>As an end user, Where could i get a list of targeted hardware?
>
>Is there an option (future?) to compile STL programs to PIC or AVR microcontrollers?

Ken:
> What about using C ?? This is ideal for the AVR if you can set up a good
> environment. If you set up good function calls it can be similar to a
> good text language (I am asking for flame mail by suggesting using C, I
> know, but I like it!!)

You could probably take the Puffin IL compiler and modify it - it writes pretty generic C code. Just replace the calls to the PuffinPLC and write
whatever skeleton you need around it, and you should be set...

Let me know if you want to do that - I should document how the Puffin IL compiler works one of these days, and if you're going to do this I should hurry up with it :)

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>
"In my opinion, the GPL is optimized to build a strong software community at the expense of a strong commercial software business model."
--Craig Mundie, Senior VP, Microsoft; 17 May 2001