Usual monitor as HMI

W

W. Lederer

In my practice I never came accross to a solution when a usual PC Monitor was used as HMI with PLC (Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi, Siemens, Omron...).

Has somebody seen it? If not, is it a possible solution?

I just did a project with 2 video cards in a PC that drive three 42" TV Hi-def screens, but I used VGA because the distances from the PC that grabbed the process data and the screens was 200 feet to 600 feet in different directions. DVI has about a 200 foot limitation. These were read-only displays, not interactive HMI.

I noticed that Red Lion just introduced a product with an output for DVI TV monitors.

http://www.redlion.net/AboutUs/News/News2011/IncreasedProfitabilityThroughInsight.html

take out any spaces the forum inserts into the URL above.

B
The Schneider Electric Vijeo Designer software in addition to programming the Magelis HMI terminals can also be licensed to run on a "normal" Windows PC will associated monitors.

Further, the Magelis iPC products (Industrial Windows PCs with rotating or solid state hard drives) can be used, with the Vijeo Designer software, to drive all varieties of monitors. They are a "box", the monitor is optional.

However, that said, most machine level or dedicated area HMIs are dedicated HMIs for reasons of Reliability and Purpose.

I've done several installations using a Beckhoff CX1020 with a DVI option connected to a standard monitor (DVI or VGA). TwinCAT was used for the PLC control and a VB.NET application ran on the controller as the HMI.

Thank You for the answers.

Unfortunately, the link to the Red Lion site is broken.

About Magelis, as I understand, the solution is for industrial PC only (like LabView)?

Is it possible to connect a PC monitor to a PLC (e.g. Schneider M340)?

PC monitors are widely used in industry and their reliability is accepted. Maybe the reason is different?