valve leak detection sensor

J

jigar

hi,

i am student of masters in automobile and currently doing my dissertation (last year project).

my project is to make leak detection machine which detects the leakage in inlet and outlet valve of engine during engine assembly. i.e valves r fitted only in cylinder head.

plz tell me which sensor is used for it?

R

Robert Scott

There are two main types of leak detection systems that I know of. One is the pressure decay system where a captive volume of air is pressurized and then the leak is measured by a pressure sensor that detects how fast the pressure decays. The other is a mass air flow system where a continuous leak is measured by sensing air flow past a heated temperature sensing element. The more leak there is the more the heating element will be cooled by the passing air. So the answer to your question is either a pressure sensor or a temperature sensor.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Embedded Systems Consulting

M
It would depend upon what is actually leaking past the valve, wouldn't it? If you use bubble-gum balls to test for leaks, you need to use a sensor that can sense bubble-gum balls.

If you use Helium-3 (an isotope of Helium), you need a mass spectrometer to check for leaks, and a serious budget to build and maintain the equipment.

Try this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium_mass_spectrometer

C

Curt Wuollet

You can also detect leakage with an ultrasonic detector. This can be done dynamically with gating to "listen" only during compression, for example. A spectrum analyzer can separate valve leakage from ring blowby and ambient.

Regards
cww

thank you,
Mr. Robert Scott

plz tell me which is best suited for it. if any model no. or company name u know.

thanking you,
jigar