VB module with Automation Direct DL-205

B

Bill Hendrix

We use Automation Direct DL-205 PLC. I need to incorporate a Visual Basic routine to run in the background. What or who can provide a solution whereby we won't have to incorporate an actual PC with Windows? I am taking an analog signal 0-10 volts from a Banner Sensor and need to pass this value to a VB routine and send back a value.

Thank you.
Bill Hendrix, Brewco Inc.
[email protected]
www.brewcoinc.com

Hi Bill,

We deal in data acquisition systems using different protocols like rs232, tcp/ip & modbus using VB. If not a windows machine, what else do you intend to use? some hand held device?

Kindly elaborate on your requirement.

If you can explain the concept you are working on, we can possibly suggest a solution to your problem.

Regards,
S Subramanian (aka Subbu)
email: [email protected]

W

William Sturm

So, what I get from this is that you want to process some data in VB but do not want a Windows based PC in your process. Is this correct?

VB Classic (Version 6 and older) only runs on MS Windows (these days, that is getting iffy), so if you must run VB, then you will need a PC. Can you process your data on the PLC itself, the DL-205 has a Basic module for this purpose. If you have the VB source code, maybe you could port the VB code to the Basic co-processor?

If you do not have access the the VB source code, then you are limited to running an older Windows based PC or re-engineering the algorithm to run on the PLC, Basic module, or possibly some other type of embedded computer such as an Arduino.

Bill Sturm

B

Bill Hendrix

Bill,

we have the VB source code and can compile it. We wrote it ourselves. As a matter of fact, we can compile it into any version that is required. And yes, we want it to run directly on the PLC. You mention the DL-205 has a Basic mode, and I have printed the manual for writing this. What I don't understand is would we have to write some Basic coding to call this VB function? I was hoping there would be some sort of module out there that would process the VB directly.

I should mention that I am the sales engineer on this job, not the actual programmer. I am sorry if I am not asking the right questions, but I am doing some "pre" legwork for our programmer. I would like very much if you would call our office directly and let me introduce you to our programmer. Please send me an email at [email protected]

We are very much happy to pay you for your consultation or contract you for this. I appreciate your understanding.

Bill Hendrix
Brewco Inc.

W

William Sturm

VB is not "portable", meaning that it only runs on Windows based PC's. There may be some embedded single board computers that are semi-compatible with VB, but I cannot think of any specific products at the moment. My suggestion is to have your programmer rewrite the code for the more "standard" (still not really standard, but closer) version of Basic that the DL-205 Basic module supports.

BTW, I am not looking for ANY work at this time...

Bill Sturm