VC++ smart device applications

A

Anitha

Hi,

I am a windows mobile application developer using C#.net with .net CF. I have knowledge in C++ programming. Is it possible for me to develop mobile applications using VC++.net?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
anitha

That is a question that is probably better directed at Microsoft than here. It's not just a technical question, it also involves legal matters such as licensing. Even if you can get it to work from a technical standpoint, it may not be licensed for mobile development with the special version of DotNet used there.

From a different perspective though, how familiar are you with VC++ DotNet? It's NOT normal C++ (and not the same as their usual VC++). It's more like a cross between C# and C++. The C++ committee that sets the standards for the C++ language got very unhappy about Microsoft appropriating the C++ name for something that wasn't really C++.

It also seems to have gone over like a lead balloon in the market, so there is probably a very good chance that Microsoft won't support it very well, and it will die of neglect. The fact that there seems to be almost no information available on the Internet about it should be ringing some warning bells.

Most mobile applications get developed in Java. Next to that is whatever is used for the Apple iPhone platform (mainly Objective C I believe). The MS Windows Mobile platform has a small and shrinking share of the market. C++ DotNet would be a very small niche (probably just you) of a small and shrinking niche (MS Windows Mobile).

If you are going to use Microsoft's tools, I would suggest sticking with C#. If you want to use C++ on MS Windows Mobile, then you can always write to their traditional API. If you are interested in the majority of the mobile market, then look at Java or Apple's tool chain.