Venturi requirements

C

Chris George

Is there a general calculation that can be used to calculate the recommended straight pipe requirements upstream and downstream for a
venturi based on the beta ratio? 7 3/4" throat diameter, 30" ID at the inlet and outlet. 7 feet long (2 foot inlet, 1 foot throat, 4 foot
outlet).

D

David W Spitzer

Chris,

Check with the manufacturer, or see ASME MFC-3M (Measurement of Fluid Flow in Pipes Using Orifice, Nozzle and Venturi).

Regards,

David W Spitzer

S

Steve McAlpin

I think the standard for all venturi's is 10 pipe diameters upstream and 5 pipe diameters downstream.

Steve McAlpin
Control System Supervisor
Calleguas Municipal Water District
2100 Olsen Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Phone: (805) 579-7148 fax: (805) 579-3721
Cell Phone: (805) 501-9037
E-mail: [email protected]

J
Dear Mr. George,

Try reviewing chapter II-II in ASME Fluid Meters Handbook 1971 (Sixth Edition). On page 180 of that reference are recommended lengths for venturis as well as orifices, and nozzles. Our experience
(http://inflowinc.com) is that these straight run values are a good starting place but not necessarily rigid values. On gas service the requirements may need to be increased. On lower flow liquids, the values may be decreased. We offer flow conditioning plates to help stabilize and minimize these requirements. Feel free to contact us for more details as this can become a rather involved discussion.

Sincerely,
John Catch
InFLOW, INC.
[email protected]

M
Please refer to the standard ISO 5167-1 Measurement of fluid flow by means of pressure differential devices for required straight length requirements for Classical Venturi tubes.

Madhusudan
Sr.Instrument Engineer
Kvaerner

Hi
Can somebody tell me how many M3/H I will get from a 100 meter pipe in the sea, vertical, with an air injection at the bottom of it at 30 barg. I need to know how much water this would be able to recover back to the surface.

Thanks
Tony