Visual basic HMI with AB SLC 5/04

D

Dan Oakes

Does anyone have any code for building an HMI using VB6 to operate a SLC 5/04 controlled system without the need for RSLinx pro for communications? I would like to write my own code rather than purchase a package. I am fairly new to VB and would like to do this for a project at work I am currently on and for my own learning experience.

M

Michael R. Batchelor

I've lost my shirt on this before. Don't waste your time. You *WILL NOT* save a dime trying to write your own routines unless you can put 80 to 90 identical units in the field.

On the other hand, if you just want the practice, knock one out and put the code up as open source.

--
Michael R. Batchelor - Industrial Informatics, Inc.
Contribute to society: http://www.distributed.net/ogr/

I did the exact same thing last summer as a co-op student. Look for a document called DF1 Protocol on the AB website. It details about 40 or so functions that Allen Bradley has made public for its PLCs and SLCs.

As for the communication protocol, I bought a book called Home Automation Basics by Tom Leonik (spelling?). It's on amazon.com, and its a must if you intend on using the serial port as a means of communicating. If you're planning on using Ethernet, then look for help with the winsock activeX function in VB6. The MSDN library is a good resource for that.

Good luck.

Thanks. I have purchased the book, found the df1 document at AB and purchased the drivers from vhmi. When I get the book and download the drivers, I will post my progress.