Visual Basic Interface

F

Federico Badillo

Hello Guys:

I have a question about Visual Basic, We would like to get an interface with an industrial PC and a teach Pendant ( serial ASCII ) to select a message number in the teach pendant, and then preset values from the teach pendant to the computer, Is Visual Basic a good program to develop this interface with ASCII?

Thank you.

Federico B.

Federico,

I have used VB 6.0 and the MSCOMM control to write a number of serial communication programs. It is very flexible and through the use of COM you can communicate with other programs.

Dan Melton

J

John F. Vales

Based upon your description, it sounds like VB would be a good fit. As long as the speed of the interface is not critical, or safety-related, you should have no problems. jfv

John F. Vales
[email protected]

I

Ing. Pietro F. Maggi

Hi Federico,
Visual Basic is a good, simple tools for these things. Other solution involve other "generic tools" like delphi and C++Builder or "control tools" like LabView. I think that your best pick depends on your programming experience. If you
normally use VBasic, go with it. If you usually work with C/C++ go with C++Builder (for this tool, and Delphi too, you can find in internet free serial components with source and help files).

Best Regards

Pietro F. Maggi
http://www.studiomaggi.com/ p.maggi AT studiomaggi DOT com