Visual Basic vs. Visual C++

J

John Mark Isaac Madison

It seems that the higher level programming languages are easier to use. But you do sacrifice a lot of control that you would otherwise have if you used a lower level language. If you get more control, you sacrifice ease of use.

I am not much of a programmer myself... But I've been working on a huge fractile graphic program on my computer for a few months now. And, I've noticed that it seems that when I write very efficient code... MS Paint still does a faster job at similiar tasks than my code does. And I think it must be because VB sets aside a limited amount of computer resources that you cannot exceed. Its just my suspicion, but I think VB for instance, only gives me X amount of processing power irregardless of the speed of my processor.

But, when I get smart enough... I think I'll learn some C++.

Ah yes, Many people see different techniques of programming, and take sides of one or the other, but there really can be needed use for each of them depending on where you are programming. I just feel sorry for the people who have been learning a language all of their carreer and have to suddenly change to something entirely different, or slightly similar. Just gotta keep up with the current stuffs. :p

It's not which is easier development environment that you should think of, but rather go for the one which has more resources, in which make your apps better; but never compromise speed in coding for quality of your software. When you get into deeper level (hardware programming using dll for instance) you'll see the big difference. But if your aim is to create simple windows application and you need to do it fast, use VB otherwise VC.

If you haven't tried Borland C++ Builder, give it a try-- this Borland's finest really does the job as FAST as VisualBasic and as POWERFUL as MS Visual C++...

R

Rahul Mathew,BCA Ist Year

Visual Basic is a RAD Tool
It's very fast as far as compilation,debugging
is concerned.
Uing API'S we can create a whole lot of softwares
like mp3-players which can support language packs
like Spanish..etc and skins better than Winamp.
Debugging in VC++ is very difficult,expecially, when it comes to MFC Application...
in my view VC++ is the biggest crap ever made by
Microsoft

The reality is that .NET is here to stay. Regardless of what language you use. The whole concept of a unique framework make sense. The whole VB vs C or C++ is a total waste of time. The time of integration has come. This is just like the time when mainframe developers hated Windows. Same all same...

That is just completely untrue. If you know how to write VB or C++ they are both equally reliable. As long as you don't mess something up in your code it is 100% reliable. However, VB has better error handling and it's easier to catch the errors.

> Visual Basic is very weak compared to VC++, Classes in VB = NO, Pointers = NO, Run on Linux/Unix = NO, Talk to Hardware = NO. <

Not entirely true it is possible to write a device driver in VB.Net I know I've done it and yes you can write classes in VB.Net what do you think the form is called Public Class Form1 VB.Net is object oriented after all

> You're right, of course. But being right doesn't make much difference. This is a big problem, especially for those
> of us who have rather extensive resumes (old guys) and possess skills that very few will have the opportunity to acquire
> due to outsourcing and the general demise of skilled positions in this country. These skills make for a very
> versatile and capable worker who really _can_ do just about anything. Employers now use methods that blind them to this
> and focus on specifics to the exclusion of all else.

---- snip ---- by moderator to read the complete post go to http://www.control.com/thread/1026197890#1026197918

> As rhetorical questions: How many of your best people are defined by the buzzwords you search for? And how many
> of you working professionals have the right buzzwords to fill the ads you see? It's shocking when you look at the disconnect.

Wow. To anyone possibly reading this post, it's been eight years since the original discussion (and subsequent reply by cww) took place. I got out of the IT field in 2002 and actually *did* work in a factory between 2005 and 2010, and now that I'm considering possibly returning to the field while pursuing my Bachelor's degree, the irony behind cww's words couldn't be more pronounced.

Beyond the IT world, the entire HR process appears to have become warped beyond recognition. No longer do actual skills or experience seem to amount to anything, but the ability to sell oneself to a prospective HR type and/or hiring manager (usually the former) now appears to be the trend. I actually had a career counselor at the university I am attending state this to me, as I most likely sat there gaping in disbelief. What really stunned me was her statement about it taking an HR type only six seconds to visually scan a résumé before deciding whether the person submitting it was worthy of further consideration for a job in question.

Yet, even with this HR mindset, there is buzz through the media that there is a shortage of IT professionals, which makes me have to ask, "Is it any wonder?" I often wondered, back when third-generation languages were becoming popular, whether perhaps a dangerous laxity was developing when it came to programming. It seemed to me that the need to get things done yesterday overrode the need to scrutinize lines of code and add appropriate comments in it when necessary; third-generation languages made it that much easier because the libraries and modules were already there to use. But just because they were doesn't mean they weren't infallible, and I can only imagine what nightmares fourth-gen and beyond have and will bring, especially if they're being developed by individuals who *are* landing jobs just because they're buzzworthy in the eyes of an HR generalist or hiring manager.

Before the economy of the USA can recover, it seems to me that we all have a responsibility to find the means not only to start taking pride in our work but also to balance that pride with respect and humility. Additionally, management must get back to recognizing its workforce, and HR once again needs to begin to identify with the ideal that the most valuable resource a business has is its people.

Thanks for a very well-written post, cww -- I can only hope this response is received as favorably by anyone who may happen to read it.

Best,
htp

C
You're welcome htp, and it is a bit ironic that I am pretty much a full time programmer these days. On an automation project to be sure, but years of electronics and hardware experience and most important problem solving, are more or less irrelevant.
While there are a lot worse things to be doing that writing C on a fast Linux machine, I watch problems I could solve, persist and sigh. I write the occasional white paper and will be starting up my FreePLC project again, but to only write software seems like sort of a waste, even though it looks like a smooth road to retirement. I am eternally grateful to have a nice clean job that pays the bills, but I feel the best days for automation types are behind us.

Regards
cww

W

William Sturm

cww said "I feel the best days for automation types are behind us"

I must respectfully disagree, PLC design/programming has been in strong demand recently and every time I look there seems to be some new PLC hardware entering the market.  With all the talk of on-shoring, I think there will be plenty of demand for Automation Engineers in the foreseeable future.