Voltage Control

C

Charz

Dear All,

Regarding the reactive power I can understand the things over the Power factor control but couldn’t grasp the Voltage control thing?

1.Without Reactive Power, active power cannot be pushed over the transmission line? (Or) reactive power is required to maintain the voltage to deliver the active power through transmission lines.Needed Explanation on this

2.Adding to this confusion is the surge impedance loading? The capacitance effect cancelling the Inductance effect?

3.Reactive power cannot be transmitted over long distances. Is it only the thermal limit of the transmission lines that restricts it from transmitting over long distances? Do some other factors are also involved in it? I do know that it has something to do with the real power transmission, exactly what is it?

4.When does the transmission line consume reactive power and when it produces reactive power? What it has to do with the loading of the same?

5.Reactive Power's main purpose is to maintain the voltage, then why can’t only the tap changer in the transformer is used? I mean why other static devices (SVC’s, FACTS, Capacitors, and Reactors) are also used?