Voltage drop calculation

C

C hardacker

I need help calculating the voltage drop across

500mcm cable @ 100 ft length.
4/O cable @ 60 ft length.

V = 6300
I = 1400 In-rush

I am trying to explain to my people that DOL of a pump that large is a bad idea and to guarantee a Voltage drop of no more tha 20% is also a bad idea.

Couls you guys help me out with the proper method for figuring the Voltage drop.

S
I assume you mean that you have a three phase run of 500mcm for 100ft, then 4/0 for another 60ft. It looks like you're talking about 2-3MW size motor, so I can see why you would want to soft start it, but I don't see voltage drop being a problem with those size conductors if my stated assumptions are correct.

--
Steve Myres, PE
Automation Solutions
(480) 813-1145

Responding to C. Hardracker's query... I believe you have the cart before the (excuse the pun) horse(power).

Unless the load or driven machine is negatively affected by DOL starting, then reduced-voltage starting for medium-voltage motors should be dictated by the short-circuit capacity of the supply. (If you need additional info, contact me, via the List!)

That said, I propose providing a "rule-of-thumb"' approach in the following form:

% V-drop (per ft) = Kc x A / kV, where:

Kc = constant related to cable size and load power factor.

A = Amperes that the cable is to carry.

kV = System kiloVolts.

BTW, replying to your direct query... the 4/0 cable voltage-drop's about 10%, while the 500 kcmil cable's is about 8%.

Regards,
Phil Corso, PE {Boca Raton, FL, USA}
[[email protected]] ([email protected])

Further to my earlier reply to C. Hardacker's query:

Oops... the most feared word in an operating room... I erred. Yes, engineers occasionally make mistakes (but very, very few will admit it)!

The earlier % voltage drop values are wrong. The voltage drop values for the 500 kcmil and AWG 4/0 cases are 0.13% and 0.10%respectively.

If anyone wants details, please contact me... via the List!

Regards,

Responding to C. Hardacker's Jan 14, 2005 query:

Regarding your position on DOL (Direct-On-Line starting), I believe you have the cart before the (excuse the pun) horsepower. Unless the load or driven machine is negatively affected by DOL starting, then reduced-voltage
starting for medium- or high-voltage motors should be dictated by the short-circuit capacity of the supply. A project I was involved with had DOL starting of a 22,000 Hp induction motor. The supply voltage was 11kV. If you need additional info, contact me via the List!

Returning to your original query about Voltage drop. If desired, I can provide you and the List, a "rule-of-thumb" approach in the following form:

% V-drop (per ft) = (Kc x A x L) / kV, where:

Kc = constant related to cable size and load power factor.

A = Amperes that the cable is to carry.

L = Circuit length, feet.

kV = System voltage, kV.

For your V-drop query... the 500 kcmil cable voltage-drop is about 0.13%, while the voltage drop for the Awg 4/0 cable is about 0.10%. Calculation parameters are available.

Regards,