Volume of tank in pounds

E

Elliott, Shane

We have a tank that is shaped like a cylinder in the lower half, and then straightens out vertically the last 12 inches. The measurements are 9.5 feet long, by 6 foot in diameter wide, and
29.5 inches tall. I need to find the volume in pounds for this item. If you could help us out it would be greatly appreciated.
e-mail us back at [email protected]--thank you.

T
Shane,

Need better description of tank geometry - can only visualize tank as being rectangular with a curved bottom - in which case need to know if the curve of the bottom has a radius of 3 feet, or is it a longitudinal slice of a cylinder of width 6 feet. (In which case 6 ft is not the diameter but is the length of a chord of the circle). In any case, break the tank up into standard geometric shapes, calculate the volume of each and add them all together. e.g. The upper rectangular prism part of the tank is 9.5 x 6.0 x 1.0 = 57.0 cu ft. Multiply this volume by the weight per cubic ft, (which you do not state) and voila - you have your answer!
Hope this helps,
Tony Firth, EE,
Quester Technology Inc. Fremont CA.

D

Dave Ferguson

Pounds of what ?

Fill it with maple syrup and it has one weight and fill it with gasoline and it has another.

The second question is at what temperature would you like this calculation.

The usual example used to illustrate this is fill a 55 gallon barrel with oil in the morning and for round numbers say it weighs 100 pounds (example) and it is 60 degrees F. The barrel is full........

Now at 2pm in the afternoon it is 90 Degrees out and 5% of the "volume" is on the ground and the barrell only weighs 90 pounds but the volume would have filled a barrell plus 5%.

These numbers are not real but you get the point. This is what makes mass flowmeters so popular, weight and volume are products of temperature........

Hope I did not oversimplify this, it is a concept that I struggle with on occasion and if someone has a better explanation I am a lifetime student of my craft.

Hope this helps......

Dave Ferguson
Blandin Papser Company
UPM-Kymmene
DAVCO Automation

Elliot,

Hi, Alan Bell Here.

I did some years ago come accross a table and calculations for volume of a dished end horizontal cylinder. I will try and find these for you. But you do need ti know the radius of curvature of the dished parts.

Bottom line was we found it so cumbersome to use that next time we filled the tank with a safe fluid, ran it off to containers on scales and kept note of the level change with each filled container. Turned out to be a lot more accurate.

Unless you are up against a real nasty compound - I'd use the fluid an scales routine. Old fashioned, but functional.

I'll get back to you

Alan

Alan N. Bell TD BSc
Process Control Engineer
+44(0)1977 712403
[email protected]

Hickson & Welch Ltd
Castleford
West Yorkshire
WF10 2JT
+44(0)1977 556565

L
Shane,

Would it be easier just to fill it with water? Meter/totalize the water as you add it and build a strapping table. Do a density
conversion to get from water weight to whatever you are trying to measure. Or are you trying to measure weight of the tank itself? Oh and just a small nit... pounds is a unit of mass, volume is measured as gallons or liters or cubic feet or cubic meters or etc....

Regards,

Lou Heavner
Emerson Performance Solutions
Austin, TX, USA

E

Edward Shmulevich The

Hello,

The simple way to measure volume of tanks of any size/shape and open/closed tanks is to sue ultrasonic portable level gage UUP1 and AUP4.
They're intended for a measurement of liquid level through one-sheeted wall of 50mm in closed/open containers.
Brief Characteristics:
Range of Levels -.2-10m
Limit of supposed intrinsic error +-3mm (.2m<H<5m)
+-(3mm+2(H-5)) (5m<H)
Method of strengthening of a converter-- magnetic
Dimensions- 200x150x100mm
Weight 2kgs
One of the advantages of this device is that it can measure thickness of liquid layer located under the layer of another liquid (gas condensate-
water, edge water-- oil , and so on). It is the only portable gage system available.
Some other gages are manufactured by Milltronics (Echomax) or BM-70 by firm Krochne. Their accuracy of level measurement of .25% and .3% with respect to thee measured level.
If you'd like more information, let me know and I'll fax it to you.

Regards,
Edward.