Water Level Measurement in 6in. diameter in clear cylinder

A

A. Nevel

I am looking to measure water level in 6" diameter and 24" height clear acrylic cylinder. I need to monitor continuously the water as it rises. Key problem I need accuracy of plus/minus 2mm. A critical area is a low level as the water starts to fill up. Prefer to take the signal in 0-20 milliamps, but any other signal would be OK if we can achieve it.

This is for prototype,but if successful, I will need for 50 different tanks.

Appreciate your reply,

Avishai Nevel
[email protected]

R

Robert Scott

How clear is the water? Does it have any contamination? What about ambient light conditions? These things would determine whether or not an optical method could be used.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Embedded Systems Consulting

Smart industrial pressure transmitters (low range differential units) have 0.1% accuracy, which on your 604mm column of water is 0.6 mm, better than your 2mm requirement.

Bud

A magnetorestrictive float based sensor *may* work (Turck, KFG, and other make them), but, because of deadband at the low end, may as likely not.

S

Shailesh C Patel

Radar gauge is good for your application.
SAAB radar tank gauging system model no 3940 have accuracy is plus/minus 1
mm and will fit in 6" also.
i hope it is useful to you.

Regards,
Shailesh C Patel
FDC - Control Systems And Instrumentation

A

Axtell, Bruce

The application is somewhat vague... for example what are the liquid characteristics? Does it foam, what is the temperature, is it caustic or acid, clear or opaque, give off vapors, etc.? What is the acrylic cylinder construction? Is it pressurized? Is it indoors or outdoors? Is it open at the top or sealed? Is it a stationary or mobile tank and is there vibration? You may be able to use ultrasonic, radar, laser, or pressure type level sensors. Define your physical parameters first and
then see what level technology will work best within that framework.

Bruce A.

Noncontact Ultrasonic Level!

The Ultra 3 (http://pulsar-us.com/docs/literature_ultra_3_&_5.pdf) and dBMach3 transducer provides +/- 1mm accuracy. The new dBMach3 transducer was specifically designed for high accuracy open channel flowmetering in outdoor conditions. This would be much easier application and has a zero blanking distance (the water can come to the top of the vessel).

Please visit our website for additional information http://www.pulsar-us.com or call 850-609-1777.
Ask for Robert.

Sounds to me like a marine or freshwater aquaria - probably marine given the vessel dimensions and the word "tanks". I'm looking for something similar to control water level.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I now have a system to do this. Send me an email to my address to [email protected] and give me your telephone number so I can call you to discuss it.

A pressure tansducer will work. The key is temp. for your +/-2mm. A 5psig (gauged or vented to atmosphere) will give you the precise measurement. You don’t want to use anything beyond your range of pressure. Try http://www.inwusa.com

We supply this range of equipment for tanks wells bore almost anything needed to measure pressure.