What are my best options here?

A

Andy

What are my best options here?

I need to acquire data from 15 Injection Molding Machines, 4 Furnaces and about 5 small-automated assembly machineries.

They all have different PLC makes and models like Koyo / Siemens / GE 90-30 and AB. I need to bring the productions and faults data to several HMIs located in 4 management offices within the plant.

I will like to save the time and expense in hard wiring all of these machines and will like to go wireless. Would you install a serial Wireless Cellular Modem on each PLC? Is hard wiring my only option? How would you do it?

Thanks

Andy

M
Wonderware's HMI is called "Intouch" and it has the capability to simultaneously talk to hundreds of different PLCs using off the shelf I/O Servers. Remote view nodes can be wireless or even run in a browser. I suggest you go to Wonderware.com and find the Wonderware Distributor near you for assistance. :)

K

Kevin Altomare

Software like Wonderware is okay for small systems and is pretty easy to setup. Just be sure you work out the complete cost as you will have to buy the software drivers to communicate to each device and this can quickly add up.
Citect SCADA/HMI is a very well respected package and best of all, the drivers are included in the price - as is the trend, report and alarm functionality. Even the development environment is free to install on as many PCs as you like. You can download a copy or get more info at www.citect.com

Best of luck,
Kevin

Andy,

Any series of Wireless routers seem to work fine. Make sure you get the correct signal strength based on distance and what material the signal will travel through... metal, brick, fog, rain, etc. As for data collection, look at WebDock's DataPort. Very cost effective data logger that works with any opc server and allows you to view your data over the web.

Eddie