what is an input to VFD?

V

Vaibhav Gandhi

I am a final year engineering student and I want to control a spped of compressor for HVAC. I want to use LabVIEW software to give logic to VFD. Does VFD has any ports to give voltage/current inputs?

Hoping for your kind reply

Hello,

Every VFD I have worked with takes an analog voltage input. I would expect +/- 10V, +/- 5V, 0-20mA or something similar. Some even have Modbus and/or RS-232 communications for setting parameters, including frequency. Sometimes communications boards are add-ons to keep cost down on basic models.

KEJR

J

James Ingraham

> Does VFD has any ports to give voltage/current inputs? <

Depends on the VFD, but generally yes. It's usually a speed reference.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

S
Pick a make and model of VFD that you are going to use and get the manual for it. If this isn't possible at this point or not in the scope of what you are trying to do, just pick a drive (VFD) as an example and study its manual. Consider going to www.yaskawa.com and downloading a manual for the F7 drive or, for a more straight forward drive, consider the P7. The method of interfacing with and controlling these drives is very near standard for the industry. Look for both user and programming manuals. Look for information related to speed references. If studying the manuals doesn't answer all your questions or if you need help zeroing in on relevant technical info., give a yell.

- Muddy StillWater