What Thermocouple Types have you used for temperature control?


Thread Starter


Hi guys!

I have recently been working with some different thermocouple types - the k and the j type. They where used to measure temperature in the oven of a printing machine.

Reading about all the different types of thermocouple made me think. What applications are those types used for?

So, my question is - have you ever used thermocouples? What type did you use and why?

The simplest way to understand the different type of thermocouple is by their range of measurement and sensitivity.

Type J has a range of minus 40 °C to +750 °C and sensitivity of about 50 °C

Type K has sensitivity of approximately 41 °C. Measurement range is minus 200 °C to +1350 °C / -330 °F to +2460 °F range.

There are other type of thermocouple with different measurement range and sensitivity. Wikipedia has a good detail explanation of all type of thermocoupe if you want more detail.

Hope this helps.