Whats an easy way of changing 24 VDC to 12-15VDC

T
If your current requirements are low you can use a couple of resistors wired as a voltage divider, values depend on amperage needs, but if it were me I would spring the 40-50 bucks for a seperate power supply. Linear power supplies can be had for dirt cheap from "newark.com":http://www.newark.com .

R

Reza Hasseli

Hi,
You have not said anything about the current, as far as you are dealing with low currents (up to 1.5A), you may use the famous 3 terminal LM317 regulator.

Reza Hasseli

G

Gabriele Corrieri

Hi Tandem,
the fastest and chep way is using LM7815 and 7812 voltage regulator, they are very cheap (I think they costs around .5 euros or minus), are builded in TO220 package, can be mounted on same heatsink because their backplane are
connected to power ground, or mounted free-air until 500mA current output. With adeguate heatsink they can be output until 2A. For more current on the their datasheet you can find a solution with external power transistor.
Other way is using LM317T adjustable regulator, but isn't cheap than LM78xx series, have backplane connected to output, and need at least two resistor for trim output voltage, on contrary LM78xx series doesn't need no external
components, at least you can put on input and output two capacitors for stabilizing voltage when load get current peaks.

If you need more info reply with your mail address and your doubt, I will answer in one-two days maximum.

Gabriele Corrieri

B

Bob Peterson

How about a 9 volt zener diode in series with the 24VDC output. That should give you 15 volts.

Bob Peterson

C

Curt Wuollet

Three terminal regulator and a heatsink. LM7815 or equivalent. Cheap and easy up to about an amp. The disssapation begins to be a problem after that.

For larger amounts, it's hard to beat some of the packaged switching convertors as they are fairly complex to build and not that expensive.Take a look at Jameco and see what they've got, then Newark as they will be more expensive but have a
larger selection.

Regards

cww