Where do you start? Automated assembly

Hi!

I was a manufacturing engineer who upkept several pieces of automated assembly and helped spec out new ones, but never developed anything on my own. Now I’m looking at building a few automated heat treat and braze stations for a hand-tool manufacturer. It’s a slow-burner project that gives me a chance to figure things out.

Where do I start? I have the general specifications for the machine laid out, and a general idea of what hardware to use. Is there any particular PLC that lends well to learning on?

As a controls engineer for me, the best place to start is an IO count. Calculate the number of inputs, outputs, VFDs, and servos. Also, what is your preferred industrial protocol? If you don't have a preference the next step is to look at your budget. Some manufacturers have microsystems that are very affordable if you don't have to expand the IO.

As for what might be the simplest to learn on Siemens has a great entry-level system called the Logo. It has expandable IO and is programmed with a function block diagram style. If you are looking for a more typical PLC the Rockwell Automation Micro 800 series PLC offers free programming software that is built in a similar fashion as their studio 5000 software.

There are lots of options on the market now for small or micro control systems. Always keep in mind flexibility and expandability. There is always the possibility of needing more IO after integration.