Which DCS to select?

Dear TDC_S7_guy,

To your points:
1) Yes, Experion control modules can be independently loaded.

2) I never had to download both CM's. Only the one where the signal arrives.

3) True and it is even not recommended to do so. In the ACE node however you can use custom algorithm blocks. In the C300 you can have templates. But yes, they are not the same as being able to build your own blocks (which we can do on our TPS system CASE tool).

4) In Experion there is also an RCM-block which can control SCM's and other RCM's. I don't do it justice by saying that it allows you to create S88 compliant batch systems. It is much more flexible.

5) It can be used for more things but true, alarm management is the first people think about. We use it to structure the data in our CLPM tool.

6) Graphics have improved a lot in the recent releases. It strikes me that you place your desire to call the measured position of a discrete device 'feedback' in stead of PV into the same sentence with "suck big time". If that's the graphical stuff you are having problems with I would call this very minor. HMI-WEB displays can interface to multiple systems in the way we are used to in a DCS (not having to maintain an extra database). On top of that the system provides good OPC integration.

7) DCS I/O is not the same as PLC I/O. There is more functionality in the cards. Maybe you should compare with C200 I/O ?

A satisfied Honeywell customer.

No experience with Honeywell, but Yokogawa CS3000 R3 Vnet-IP has been a very reliable system for thousands of I/O and several vendor packages.

Vendor support at your region has a big weight on the selection of either though.

EPKS systems comparison:

1. EPKS R400 will be launched soon, but before that R3XX also is a truly OCS. Any data you need from the DCS is available in any open format.
All you need is the expertise and knowledge of the required software tools like SQL/VB/ODBC etc.

2. Re-engineering in EPKS is also easy. You have an option of QVCS, which helps you keep a track of the modifications done in individually each CM.

3. Asset model in EPKS is a very efficient way of managing not only alarms but, operator profiles, operator rights, system management, security and a lot more. It is much similar to area DB and NCF in the TPS/TDC systems.

4. And as JKP suggests, the correct know-how on EPKS would give you free hands to extract the most out of it. Not to mention, incorrect procedures or half-knowledge when working on a live DCS would really bring upon big troubles.

5. Graphics part: I have heard countless complaints that HMI is bad since no ready made objects/pop-ups/icons are available. But, instead it gives u all the freedom to develop everything you can imagine and want. All you need is VB scripting knowledge and HMI Web display builder hands-on.

For a system, it is the best if it provides the engineers all freedom to design logic/displays as per the requirement. Nobody would like to compromise on their engineering requirements.

Dear Mr Rudi

With respect to the S88 features, I would like to raise one clarification. Say we are using the alias feature of an SCM where you would define all DEVCTRL pins(about a 100 if you have just 10 valves) that are relevant to your needs (In PCS7 - SFC Type you would only have to define the VALVE block in Blocks List all relevant pins/IOs are automatically imported).

1.Now say for example I have two vessels V201A and V201B. They process their respective batches with the above SCM/SFC Type at the same time. Hence in PCS 7 I would require to make 2 INSTANCES of my SFC Type and Execute them in separate charts/CM, but would I have to duplicate and make an other SCM in Experion, so I essentially have to update each one separately.

2.Both V201A and V201B have the same water pump for CIP. Both CIP's coincidentally start at same time, but(if above not needed duplicate) how can one SCM make two dynamic connections at the same time.

Dear TDC_S7_guy,

To your S88 clarification: generally only two DEVCTL pins are really used in an SCM being GOP (the output) and GPV (the feedback). So, in your example you would have to enter four signals in the alias table (two units x two valves).

To your item 1): you would only build one template and create two SCM instances.

To your item 2): the above answers also this one. There are actually two SCM instances.

>Honeywell or Yokogawa

Let me tell you in this way that, for Mega Plants especially Oil and Gas, the only reliable solution is Honeywell EPKS especially R400 and R410, since other systems can not even offer a definite architecture for that.

you can refer to the Mega Projects reference which most of them had no solution except Honeywell EPKS as FCS/DCS like:

Gas to Liquids Complex Project in Qatar with:
DCS, ESD, FGS for all units (120,000 Hard IO) and more than 100000 soft IO

even my colleagues working with Emerson confess that for big Projects, you will worship Solutions which Honeywell provides you.
and be sure all Control systems have their own bugs which depending on the application will appear and cause you some problems.

P

P S Neelambaran

> Honeywell or Yokogawa

I am using Yokogawa DCS since 1997 right from their model CENTUM-XL to now the CENTUM VP . Their hardware is so rugged and robust even it worked in a non-A/C environment and dusty too for days together. The support from Yokogawa India is very good.