Which PLC to select?

C

Card

I Work in a Thermal Power Plant. We look to automate our old alarm anunciator with a new PLC. We have a 500 inputs and 300 outputs for this aplication. We need a PLC with redundant power supply and redundant processor.

I need to implement a HMI interface for the operators. We need a trend of principal variables of the thermal cycle. We need to post a alarm summary with time stamp for analyze possible problems in the plant.

Also we need to implement automation in start and stop motors, pumps, open and close valves, and very other equipment as a HV breakers, electrical protections, etc.
We look the Omron CS1 Duplex for this aplication.

I'm not a PLC Expert. I apreciate very much your reccomendation about this selection.

Many Thanks.

Give GE Fanuc a call. They have double and triple redundancy. They have connects to HV switchgear too. Their Field IO would work too.

B
Schneider Electric Quantum PLC with Unity software will provide true hot standby redundancy with all IEC programming languages, integral operator screens, alarm logger (in the PLC), full security and audit trail information, plus high speed analog/digital solutions, including first out fault detection. Time sync features fit with electrical distribution applications. Redundant power supplies and I/O cabling enhance the reliability. Quantum has a proven track record in many electrical installations with world wide support services.

J
The Matrix Controls system is designed and built for the most demanding applications in the process industry. Its operating temperature range is -40o C to +70o C; that is typically associated with field instrumentation. As standard offerings, the system is rated for installation in Class 1 Div II classified areas and all electronics are corrosion resistant coated to meet the G3 standard.

The controller consists of a high performance processor module, which includes dual Ethernet 100/10 Mbaud and dual RS 485 ports. As options the system offers other levels of redundancy: Dual hot standby processors and/ or redundant power supplies. The levels of redundancy offered by MOST are simple to implement and totally transparent to the end user. A full complement of I/O modules is available; including HART Analog input and output modules.

The network consists of dual fault tolerant Ethernet 100/10 Mbaud. The protocol is Modbus TCP/IP, which provides connectivity to other subsystems.

At the supervisory level, Matrix provides seamless integration with Wonderware Factorysuite applications. However, it is also based on an open systems philosophy that allows the user to select best in class components for the system.

Finally, I would also like to invite you to visit the MOST web site at http://www.mtlmost.com for information on WebEx conferences that are offered regularly and which might be in areas of interest to you.

Best regards,
Jason Berk
Director Project Research
MTL Open System Technologies (MOST)
Member of the MTL Instruments Group PLC
2450 South Shore Blvd.,
Suite 210
League City, TX 77573
Phone: 281-334-3293 x390
Mobile: 713-582-8909
Fax: 281-334-4324
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.mtlmost.com/

B

Bob Peterson

If you are US based, Omron is not a good choice. Support, while not non-existent, is sparse and spotty, at least so I am told.

Just curious why someone with no PLC background is choosing a PLC. No offense, but maybe you should get someone involved who understands more of the issues. Some of the issues are relatively easy to understand, others take some experience.

R

Raymundo D. Balderas

Hi:

You have several options in the market.

You could try the Micro2016 RTP products a truly redundante solution: http://www.rtpcorp.com

Or the GE-Fanuc series 90-30 with MAX-ON solution, see http://www.ge-fanuc.com/criticalcontrol

A very good solution is the Quantum Familty from Schneider Electric. It has a very good Hot-Standby Product. see http://www.modicon.com

Moreover check for good local tech-support.

Hope this helps.

Raymundo D. Balderas
Mexico D.F.

Seems that you need to implement a complete system with PLC and HMI function.

Suggest to use the Honeywell Plantscape system or the Yokogawa CS3000 system. Both support controller redundancy and provide a good future upgrade path, and also a good HMI system.

Regards.

R

Rodrigo Reyes

Dear Sir,

The german system WinErs, running as soft PLC on PC + Windows, has been yet used on Power Plants doing similar tasks like you want to. The System can be configurated with redundant CPU and redundant UPS. The system watches itself and controls the two parallel working system coordinating which of both has to asume the main task and warning the operators in fault cases.

The Sytem supports all the functions you need: HMI, Trend curves of all variables, alarm sumary with time stamp, automation of plant facilities: motor, valves, etc. Using I/O terminals the system can read and write inputs and outputs, realize electrical line parameter measurements, etc. If you use some standar Motor Contactors you can monitor the motor parameters, and of course you can monitor your HV elements when you use standard low level signals.

You will be happy with this easy to use system. You can visit http://www.schoop.de to have a demo and to see under german references (Referenzprojekte) "Bewag Redundant Erfassung der Regelarbeit... "

Rodrigo

R
Hi,
You might want to look at the Bristol Babcock, Inc. ControlWave PLC. The unit has al the capabilities that you seem to need and they implement all of the IEC 61131-3 Programming languages in their software. This enables you to use the best language for a particular process and be able to reuse the code as FB elsewhere and for other similar applications. They have complete redundancy systems that are bumpless and dependable. This is essential in the Gas and Water/Wastewater Utilities. See http://www.controlwave.com.

Bob

Robert J. Dusza, Jr.
Project & Technical Support Manager
(V) 1-860-647-3219
(F) 1-860-647-3150
E-mail - [email protected]
Manchester Water & Sewer Dept.
125 Spring St. P.O. Box 191
Manchester, CT 06045-0191

Sir,

Please mail us in [email protected]. We are a development co in chennai. The system can be easily implemented with least project cost. We can recommend Microprocessor based annunciators with LCD & huge memory with user programmable I/Os. It's superior to all the models available in the market & no need to be a expert in PLC operation.

Balaji
Director

Call us in 044/24359902, 044/2491 1522

R

Razvan Constatnin

Dear Sir,

I strongly recommend you to choose one of Honeywell solutions. It can be PlantScape Vista or FSC with ExperionPKS.

If you need just an unexpensive solution choose HC900 in redundant configuration together with PlantScape VISTA.
But, for a complete solution - safety and reliance - i suggest you to choose the FSC system along with Experion PKS.

You will have time stamps, graphisc, archiving, HMI interface for operators, redundant controllers and power supplyes, redundant I/O -if you need - and a lot of other functionalities in a state of the art system. Automation for start/stop motors, pumps, open and close valves and so on will not be a problem for the Honeywell system. Don't forget to take in consideration when you choose the safety system the SIL3 requirements.

If you need more informations regarding the Honeywell solutions don't hesitate to contact me at the following adress e-mail address: [email protected] or at the following number: 0040724377675

All the best,
Razvan