Why a Symax 400 T/C module for 4-20 input?

T

Tim Greif

A client has an old Symax 400 plc being used for control of a water pumping station. They complained that spare parts for the analog inputs are very expensive. When I looked at it, I discovered they're using a thermocouple input module (module RIM-126) for the 4-20 mAdc inputs. The local Square D guy tells me that's the most expensive module you can put in that unit. Why in the world would anyone have done this in the first place? Wouldn't the programming have to be custom for that type of input application?

R

Robert Willis

The 8030 RIM126 module is a ISOLATED Analog Input / Thermocouple module and does not require an external isolators. Typically in an enviroment where there are numerous self-powered transmitters this would eliminate any ground loop problems.

Regards
Robert Willis
Square D Company
Houston, Texas

> A client has an old Symax 400 plc being used for control of a water pumping station. They complained that spare parts for the analog inputs are very expensive. When I looked at it, I discovered they're using a thermocouple input module (module RIM-126) for the 4-20 mAdc inputs. The local Square D guy tells me that's the most expensive module you can put in that unit. Why in the world would anyone have done this in the first place? Wouldn't the programming have to be custom for that type of input application?

Doh! I feel sorta stupid. I just looked up the RIM-126 on Square-D's web site and it's configurable for either 4-20 or thermocouple input. I thought it was thermocouple only. Sorry for the confusion.