Why can't I install the LonWorks node?

R

rejoicewang

I am using LonWorks tech. The development tools are NodeBuilder 1.5 and LonMaker 2.02 for Dos.
Now, I meet a problem.
My node can be loaded program and no error. But when I install the node using LonMaker 2.02 for Dos, it has a connecting error,
Has someone met this problem?
How can I solve it?

F
If it is true that you are using the old LonMaker for DOS, then that is probably your problem. LonMaker for DOS was obsolete about 5 years ago. I haven't checked specifically but since you are using the new development tools, you probably have an incompatibility issue between that and the LM for DOS. I suggest you get the new LonMaker for Windows.

F
You should contact Echelon directly to make sure, but I suspect it is a compatibility issue between the NodeBuilder version and the fact that you have the VERY old LonMaker for DOS. You shouldn't have any problems installing with LonMaker for Windows. Along with working, LonMaker for Windows is far more flexible and powerful than the old DOS application. I highly recommend upgrading.

If you insist on using LonMaker for DOS then I suggest you look at the Network image version that you are using and make sure you are not implementing any advanced LonMark Interoperability features. You need to keep your application at a very basic level and only use network variables or config network variables. The other issue could be the XIF file that the nodebuilder creates. Again, I suspect that it might be creating an XIF file that is incompatible with LM for DOS. Its been a long long time since I have used LM for DOS so I don't remember but if there is a mechanism to extract the XIF file from the node instead of using the one the Nodebuilder created, then that might solve your problem. As an alternative, use NodeUtil.exe (from Echelon's website) to create an xif file from the node itself. As a VERY last resort, you could hand modify the XIF file but you need to find some documentation about what LM for DOS expects.

Good luck

Fred Graham
Graham Controls Consulting http://www.grahamcontrols.com