Win2k Auto Logon

B

Bob Orman

Situation: We have a video server here which will record activity to hard disk. The vendor typically rolls the system out in a Windows 98 environment. I told the vendor I really didn't want to roll a 98 machine into our environment. They said they could support XP as well. I said "go" with XP. Received the video server - and they had loaded W2K Pro on it instead of XP, which I was expecting.

I joined the system to our domain so that we could remote manage, print images, and transfer files from the system as necessary.

They originally had the system set up to auto-logon with a local user account because the video capturing software does not run as a service. It must be run from an interactive session.

After I joined the domain - I set the registry to auto logon with a domain account. Hard coded the password in the registry. Normal user only.

Problem is that our domain legalnotice policy overrides local policy on the system. As a result - when you bounce the system - which does have the user-id, password, and domain all hard-coded - the system will log on automatically EXCEPT that the domain legal notice screen pops up and requires someone to press the enter key before the logon will complete. As a result - if we were to lose power in the building and the server went down for any reason - the cameras would not automatically start back up until someone physically pressed the enter button on the legal notice screen.

So - the question is: Do you know of a way to tell the workstation in the registry, or otherwise, to truly auto-logon, so we can skip this splash screen?

Thanks
Bob

K

Koblenz, Mykel MH

We have exactly the same probem here for our control servers in our company (could be the same one for all I know). Do you need it to log onto the domain, if not then remove it and the splash screen (which I think is a
registry entry).

You could try searching the registry and removing it (worked for win 9x), but in our situation, logging on re-instated the entry.

Ask your suppoert guys how to remove it. If it is a valid reason then you should have no problems with them with regards to its removal.

Can't help much more htan that though - sorry

Mick

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Computing 2
S Computing 1
D Modbus 2
J Languages 17
J General Communications Chat 1