Win98 to Win2000

J

Jeremy Pollard

Hi guys and gals. Looking for a simple approach to:
Win98 client can talk with Win NT 4.0 without a problem. I understand that Win 2K changed to authentication methods so that I cannot 'connect' using Win98. What I need to do is read and wrtie to a given directory on the Win 2K box with the Win98 client, and having spent all weekend getting baffled, I am no further ahead.
One thread of a windows site suggested to upgrade to win2k on the client (from another complaint) which is not possible here. Any simple thoughts?
Thanks in advance. Whew - thought this world was getting easier!

Cheers from:

Jeremy Pollard, CET
The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration, Automation, and Training

On The Web - http://www.tsuonline.com
PLCopen North America - [email protected] www.PLCopen.org

8 Vine Crescent, Barrie, Ontario L4N 2B3

C
I do it all the time without a problem. From 98 to NT4.0 I share a specific directory that anyone could see. No passwords or logins need to be added to the NT4.0 computer. From 98 to 2000 I need to register the users and use security for it to work. This is a little more cumbersome, but it is much more secure.
Hope this helps

J

Jeremy Pollard

Wow - I feel so dumb, but yet.... I had to register the logon username in the Win 2K user list and give the right rights to the directories etc. BUT I also had to have the Win98 box log in using Client for Windows. not just Windows Logon.

Wow what a nightmare but a simple solution. Thx for your help guys. The authentication algorithm I have found to be different on NT than in Win 2K. More reading - just when I thought I had a weekend! Thx again guys for your help.

Cheers from:

Jeremy Pollard, CET
The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration, Automation, and Training

On The Web - http://www.tsuonline.com
PLCopen North America - [email protected] www.PLCopen.org

8 Vine Crescent, Barrie, Ontario L4N 2B3

D

Derick Dawson

You will have to change the user name and password on your 98 machine to match a username and password you have on the 2000 machine or create a user account on the 2000 machine to match that of the 98 machine you will have to share the directories for which you want access (right click select sharing give permission to the user you would like to give access. That is all have fun.

Derrick
MCSE NT

F

Fredrik Linusson

As far as I know, all you need to do is to make sure the 'guest' account is active on the W2k machine. Then you can connect to it without user aauthentication, unless you give the shared folder any special restrictions.

Without the guest account you need to set up users for it.

/Linus