WinCC Alarm Page Crash

A

Anonymous

I have a WinCC 6.0 SP2 with a button on the overview page that takes you to the current alarms page which is a "message" window. Everything appears to be fine except when it is left overnight. If you go straight to the alarms page in the morning it hangs, if you go to another window it is fine until you try the alarms page. This is the first time I have run a live project using version 6 (with the SQL Server 2000 database). At present I do not have any scripts running at midnight or anything. Any ideas?

How is your alarm database set up? Do you have it starting a new segment daily? (If you look at SQL Server Enterprise Manager, when your project is in runtime, you will see three different groups of segments, alarm logging, slow tag logging, and fast tag logging. I believe WinCC defaults to creating a new segment every day. It is possible that the alarm control cannot handle being open when a new segment is created. (Mind you I have no proof or experience with this, but from your symptoms, it sounds like it may be related.) If the alarm logging database configuration is set to one day segments, try changing the setting to a week and see if the problem continues to occur.

Good luck.

You need to make sure you have WinCC V6 SP1 or SP2. The plain V6 had issues with displaying alarms which were resolved in SP1. Also you need to ensure that your Windows operating system version is compatible with your WinCC version - http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/1139080

How long do you leave it? Could it be it's just taking a long time to load in all the alarms?

Ensure the Status Bar is visible. What does it show when you open the alarms page?

Are there any errors appearing in the Windows Event Viewer or the WinCC log files?

cheers
Salma