WINCC application and support languages

R

Raju Mani

Dear Sir,

Please this question is from an a new user, I would like to know which is the computer application & programming languges to learn to work on the WINCC project. What is the difference between WINCC & Wonderware? I looked at sites on the Web, but I didn't find the answer I wanted. I can get the system knowhow from the said websites not the answer for my question. Any documentation Pl. mail me.

Raju Mani
[email protected]

If you need to make special non-standard functions you will have to know C language to be able to make scripting.

WinCC is created by Siemens.
intouch is created by Wonderware.

Both are scada softwares.

S

Shahid Waqas Chaudhry

WinCC = Siemens Product
Intouch = Wonderware Product

WinCC -> Supports ANSI C language and VBS+VBA (since v6)
Intouch -> VBA

For Siemens -> www.ad.siemens.com/supporte [Find the manuals there]
For Intouch -> Maybe someone in the group can give a link.

For both products, you can do without learning a language - for almost all but the very complex tasks!

- Shahid

P
Your reply is somewhat true but not completely. With the release of WinCC 6.0 you can now use VBA for configuration as well as VBScript for runtime. As far as having to KNOW the C language, this is not entirely true. WinCC uses C-Scripting to enhance its already many functions. Unlike some SCADA packages that are on the market that use VBA and VB-Script to mask its deficiencies. Many of these C-Scripts have been incorporated as standard libraries that do not require any knowledge of C-Scripting. You just need to know how to click a mouse. Now that WinCC has VBA and VB-Scripting you get the best of both worlds. Siemens did not include those two languages to make up for lack of function, they did that for those users that simply prefer VB over C. With WinCC 6.0, in my opinion the competitors are going to find themselves eating dust.