WinCC Flexible (Siemens) and OCX objects

B

Bernie

How can I link WinCC Flexible archived data (SQL) to an ocx object in order to create an XY plot? I hope to plot filtered data (RPM vs. Flow Rate) that has been logged/archived in an SQL database. I intend to use an ocx object as part of a WinCC Flexible HMI to create the plot.

How can I link the data to the ocx object?
Will I likely have to build a VB ocx object from scratch?
Can you suggest the most productive way forward?

Thanks,
Bernie

P
Bernie:

My guess is that since you are logging data to a SQL Server you are probably using WinCC Flexible RT on a PC. The panels do not have that ability to directly log data to an SQL database. That being said, there are two
options for you.

1. Active X objects must first be registered in WinCC Flexible to be available as an OCX within WinCC Flexible ES. There is a 171 page document by Siemens on how to do this. Since Flexible is relatively new, that document has not been released. To get an idea of how it was done in
ProTool you can go to http://www.open-platform-program.com/ You must first
register before you have access to the SDK section. Registering the ActiveX for use in WinCC Flexible RT on a PC isn't too difficult. If you need to do this in the panel space, then you better be an expert in C++ embedded and compilers, because you will need to create your own, unless you happen to be lucky enough to already have the source code for an X-Y plot and it just happens to have already been written for the MIPS processor.

2. This is the option I would choose. Purchase someone's off the shelf X-Y plot that you can incorporate into a VB form and use VB ADO to pull the data from your SQL. Create an executable from this VB form. Launch this executable from within WinCC Flexible RT on the PC.

Ron P

Hello Bernie

What version of wincc flex are you using and how have you been getting on with it, I am using it on an MP panel and it has been a living hell.

DP

M

Michael Griffin

I haven't used WinCC Flexible yet (we are staying with Protool for now), but I have been told that you need a very fast PC and at least a gigabyte of RAM to run it. Even then it is supposedly very slow. I have heard of 10 to 15 minute compile times. If you are using this on a lap-top PC, you may need to buy a new one (it should be the fastest one you can afford).

P
DP:

If possible, can you please send me the list of your heartaches. I am compiling all the issues that customers have with the product so that we can address them for the 2005 release. I am pretty confident though that most of them have already been addressed. Please send the list to
[email protected]

Anyone else out there that has issues with WinCC Flexible, please send them.

Thank you,

Ron P.

P
Here's the scoop from someone that uses WinCC Flexible every day and isn't just hearing about it. I have WinCC Flexible installed on my laptop (1.7 Mhz Mobile Pentium, 1 G RAM). Compile time on a project that is 97 Meg - 5 minutes. That was the first compile. All subsequent compiles are delta compiles, unlike ProTool that will recompile the entire project even if you do not make any changes. I also installed WinCC Flexible on my Simatic Rack PC with 800 MHz PIII and 512 M RAM. Compile is 4 minutes. Now you would think that the laptop would have been faster because of the processor and the amount of RAM. The key here is that the Rack PC has a hard drive that is about 5 X faster than the laptop. When you buy that new laptop make sure you have the fastest HD available for laptops, or why not just do your development on a desk top.

Yes, this product is slow compared to ProTool, but what features are slow? So far all I see that is slow is the time it takes to open and close the project and compiling it for the first time. All the new time saving features that are built in make creating your project very fast. For those of you that so not want to commit to moving into WinCC Flexible from ProTool right now, just go ahead and get the ProTool SUS and receive your free copy of WinCC Flexible. I saw a Sales release that says you can do this until they release WinCC Flexible 2005 sometime in the summer. Do your project in ProTool and convert it to Flexible. Play with it until you are comfortable with it.

Ron P

E
Yes winCC Flex is slower, using a field PG its workable.. There are still some bugs in it and... they will most likely be fixed in the new 2005 version (which you must buy, again).

The problems I encountered:
1 - With OP270 connecting to S5 plcs the update is slower than with Protool (using OP35) and even gets slower if you use the Tag logging facility (one of the reasons we decided to go to wincc Flex).
2 - The screen number function does not work on a S5 135U
3- The main problem - The delta transfer does not work properly: For some unknown reason, it does not always download ALL your changes to the OP... so Delta transfer is off and complete transfer.
4- When writing text in a text list it suddenly uses the keyboard of the chosen language i.e. using the fieldPG with french selected you can guess where the letter a z q w m etc.... so I got a french keyboard stuck on the wall.

Nagging things. More than x amount of tabbed items open and it does not open the the one you click... does not give you an error like sorry no more space, no nothing, Then there is the horrible color scheme when using Win2000 (purple).

Best things last... It's way better than Protool and is easier to use than WinCC... I am working on the maintenance side of a factory and using an ethernet card on our 15 OP270 screens and smartserver, I can quickly do the constant changes that are required right from my desk. For us its perfect...

Eric Buysse

P

Powers, Ron SEA

Eric:

You do not have to purchase 2005 if you purchased the SUS. If you haven't already done so, you have until the end of June. As for your errors try calling the Hotline to see if they can help.

Ron

M

marc sinclair

> Yes winCC Flex is slower, using a field PG its workable.. <

Hmm... On a 2.2Ghz PG, (under win2kPro), WinCC flexible Micro start is a blistering 30 seconds and another 35 seconds to open a project, which is not really acceptable nowadays, I can put up with long(ish) compile times, as I understand the processing needed (and the massive windows
overhead) but the 5 seconds between working screens gets you down after a while.

> 4- When writing text in a text list it suddenly uses the
> keyboard of the chosen language i.e. using the Field PG
> with french selected you can guess where the letter
> a z q w m etc.... so I've got a french keyboard stuck on the wall. <

Unfortunately there is not even a proper international English version of the WinCC flexible Micro either!

Date/Time fields can't be configured!! - just what date is 06/05/2005 ? This problem alone makes the software almost useless in England. I have had to write my own routines for dates and alarms - a real pain!

Regular listers know that I am a Siemens Fan, but this software is really weak. which is a shame, the TP designer was light and easy to use, and is now obsolete!

On the brighter side, the new TP177 is great, It appears to be running a free OS !! I guess Siemens got sick of all those WinCE licence fees :)

Marc Sinclair

M

marc sinclair

Hi,

I wasn't being enigmatic, i just don't know. On booting up the TP tells (warns) me that the panel contains software that is 'free' and 'open source' I'm guessing that like my router, it's running an embedded linux. Still, as far as I'm aware, I don't have low level access to it, so for the time being, I must use the Siemens programming software.

marc

C
Quite a stunning development, considering the source.
Methinks the Germans are pulling ahead. Many hints of
such sturdy stuff from the area.

Regards

cww

C
That would be at once both eminently logical and rather startling. Linux is a logical choice for many reasons. It can be homegrown, mutable to their needs, and offers infinitely more control of their business. It is startling as I'm sure the relationship with the dark side can never be the same. From past experience, they are remarkably sore losers. The way the game is played, this is probably not dabbling, but a clear change in direction. I doubt that Siemens needs to be applying leverage.

Regards

cww

P

Powers, Ron SEA

Linux only on the new low end panels like the OP73 and the TP177A. All the others will keep CE for now.

Ron

C
Indeed, that doesn't look like Gates. Rather flashy for a usually conservative outfit. Siemens gains some much needed points in my book. Even if I'm working in Step 5 and paid $219 for a new programming cable for an S5 this week.

Regards

cww

C
I would expect that. It's much easier with new products going forward. And it probably influenced Heidelberg, which clears up another mystery.

Regards

cww

P

Powers, Ron SEA

I heard of that new embedded OS but I thought it was one of those special ops projects. I'm glad it's finally out, I heard a lot of good things about it.

Ron

Ron, you said "there is a 171 page document about ActiveX but has not been released"
where can I find it?

Beacuse, ActiveX controls don't work properly in WinCC Flexible Advanced. I tried a lot of ActiveX Controls to use in WinCC. All of them are registered and work in VC++ and VB. In the WinCC, I can insert the ActiveX to my screen, I can see the that in the Screen Editor, but runtime is crashing when I try to access to ActiveX properties or Methods. if I don't try to get/set properties or don't access to methods of the activeX, runtime works fine.

Also I wrote some activeX controls for test and result is same.

Have you ever seen this kind of problem?