WINCC SCADA

A

Arthur

Hi,

I am writing a Generic URS for Equipment Venders that are providing Equipment (with own Control system) for a Finishing line. I have asked that they control their skids with Siemens PLC and most appear that they are heading that way with 2 exceptions - an Allen Bradley Washer and an "OPC Enabled" Autoclave. In the URS that I am going to create I want to specify the Hardware, Software (e.g. landing blocks or Data Block required to be set up) and the Communication protocol that is needed (e.g. OPC) on the vender control system so that it is WinCC plug and play. Can you advise me what I will need on our site to meet with up to 14 Siemens S7 400/300 PLCs , 1 Allen Bradley and 1 OPC enabled Equipment? and what the venders need to do to make the control system plug and play for WinCC SCADA

Thanks in advance
Arthur

B

Bob Peterson

I don't know of any PLCs at all that have built in OPC servers. That is usually functionality built into the HMI or SCADA system.

WinCC can talk to all major brands of PLCs.

A parts washer is usually something very simple. I would not let them get away with giving you an orphan PLC if you really want a Siemens of some sort.

I would question very closely what the vendor supplying you an "OPC Enabled" control system is actually giving you.

Really, it is almost always better not to have mixtures of various PLCs, HMIs, and SCADA systems. It makes it very hard on the guys trying to keep your plant running.