Windows 98

D

Dave van Rhijn

Dear List, NT has a nice auto logon setup through the registry. Win98 now, some might think would have something similar. Can anyone shed some light on this one? I have tried the obvious and other that removing the network logon ability all together to simply boot the machine, the auto logon is not working for my keystrokes. Been going Microsoft tech note wading and found nothing yet. Thanks Dave van Rhijn

A

Alex Pavloff

TweakUI, available from Microsoft at

http://www.microsoft.com/NTWorkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

works for both Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95/98, and has a tab for Autologon. As the dialog box says though, the password is stored as plain
text in the registry, and accessible to anyone with access to the machine. Don't auto-login an administrator. :)

> NT has a nice auto logon setup through the registry.
> Win98 now, some might think would have something similar. Can
> anyone shed some light on this one? I have tried the obvious and other
that
> removing the network logon ability all together to simply boot the
> machine, the auto logon is not working for my keystrokes. Been
> going Microsoft tech note wading and found nothing yet.

A

Alex Pavloff

I run TweakUI on Windows98 at home, and it happily automatically logs in with no complaints. I suspect that when they say "For Windows 95 and NT4", what they're really meaning is "Not For Windows 3.1 and NT 3.51", as opposed
to "Not For Windows 98".

Old web pages.

Gotta love em.

C

Christopher Di Biase

If you look on the Win98 CD, there should be the install for a Win98 specific version of TweakUI.

Christopher Di Biase

C

C. Ward Yelverton

There is a separate version of TweakUI for Win98 ... MS says it was on the original Win98 distribution CD, but it is not on the Second Edition CD. I found a download after a lot of searching on the MS web site, believe it may
also be available on the magazine web site
http://www.pcworld.com/fileworld/.

Anyway, Win95 and Win98 are DIFFERENT versions of TweakUI ... and I'm using both on my two office computers.

P

Pierre Hinse

If you read the fine print, you will find that Microsoft advises not to use TweakUI with Win98 2nd edition. It is fine with: win95 any flavor, Win 98 First Edition, and NT4.0

Pierre Hinse
Bestech
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

I've been using TweakUI since it came out back in 1995. When Win98 came out I installed it on computers running that OS. Regardless of what their web page says I have been successfully using with Win98 on at least 30 computers for quite some time. Since I believe M$ puts a disclaimer on all of their Power Toys I would imagine that someone never got around to trying
it with '98, or for whatever reason felt that there may be problems. What they might be, however, I cannot hazard a guess at.

Greg Matthews
Wieland Electric

I don't know if it'll work for your purposes, but I have successfully gotten Win98 Second Edition to bypass the login screen by changing the default login selection in the Network Panel. I switched it to Windows Family Logon and, I'm assuming since I have no password, it automatically logs me onto our LAN. Not sure what it will do if you have a password, most likely pop it back up. I know this works because I've done it on several machines and have had no trouble. Good luck.

S

Sharma, Anand

Hello List,
Dave has mentioned that NT has a nice auto logon setup through the registry.

Dave van Rhijn,
I would request you to send me the path to the value in the registry to be tweaked to achieve the desired auto logon on Win NT 4.0.
Thanks and Regards,
Anand Sharma
Tata Consultancy Services

C

Chris Jennings

Be carefull with TweakUI. There is a different version for 98 than the 95/NT version. Also the NT version will cause problems with icons if you
install the IE4 desktop enhancements.

--
Chris Jennings
Fine Papers Electrical/Control Engineer
Australian Paper Maryvale