Windows Networking

M

Mark Hutton

OK, not strictly an automation question, but in the idiotic trend towards PCs in control relevant all the same.

Besides I have exhausted all the other avenues of help that I know of.

I have never had any problems networking two or more windows machines on a peer to peert network from W4W, through Win9x to Win NT4. My problems start with Windows2000Pro.

My Win2K notebook networked perfectly well with my Win98 desktop. When I upgraded the desktop to Win2K I could not network the two. There appeared to be a Master Browser conflict (see the event log below).

Recently I added a Windows XP machine still no network access. TCP is installed and working properly, the adapters and their drivers are shown as working. In both cases I can ping the loop back address and the local adapter address succesfully, but cannot ping the other host.

The Event logon the Win2K machine shows the following entry

Event: 8003
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer LONDONBRIDGE that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{439C10FE-6053-4. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

The registry entry shows that Master Browser selection is set to automatic.

The WinXP machine didn't have any relevant event log entries originally but now it is showing the following two entries which may be relevant but are probably caused by my attempts to fix the main problem.

Event: 29053

IPRIP could not join the multicast group 224.0.0.9 on the local interface with IP address 10.1.1.128. The data is the error code.

Event: 7000

The RtlPacket service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Each of these two machines will only see themselves in the network browser. I added a third node an NT4 machine which displays all three machines in the browser, but cannot connect to the other machines.

The NT4 machine can connect, no problem, over ethernet via the common hub to a ControlLogix processor when it is connected. So the hub is
working.

I have run the automatic network diagnostics in XP, this showed no problems (I can supply the result log if anyone is interested). I have
contacted various supposed experts on the net and the seem to be as stumped as I am.

Workgroup:CSNL

Node: 10.1.1.4
Name: elephant

Node: 10.1.1.128
Name: londonbridge

Node: 10.1.1.251
Name: sales

If I try to access the NT4 machine from the WinXP machine (by doing Find/Computer \\10.1.1.251 or \\sales ) then both LEDs on the hub flash. If I try to access the XP machine from the NT4 machine only the NT4's LED flashes).

So the IP address resolution has failed so what is the problem?

I would be grateful for any help.

Regards

I am in no way an expert but this problem has me curious

You have probably checked these things but I will list them anyway: You should have at least these protocols installed: Microsofts File and
Print Sharing,TCP/IP, NetBEUI, Client for Microsoft Network,then I would check the subnet mask, next I would try to ping by name and by
address if still nothing, I would check my cables and hub possibly trying a crossover cable if the machines are close enough,if it was using
a switch instead of a hub I would cycle the power to try to get the switch to purge the MAC filtering table

J

Jake Brodsky

Micro$oft's Window$ is a real headache when it comes to file and print sharing. You haven't provided enough information to diagnose the
link. I have to assume that you checked all the right boxes and that everything is installed as it should be. However, there's a good
chance that something isn't set the way you think it is.

In any event, if you want a good view of Window$ file sharing and all the, uhh, "wonderful" ways it works, look in to the SAMBA file sharing
package for Linux --not as a package to install, but as a way of looking under the hood to see what they're really doing. There is an awful
lot that Microsoft doesn't document and doesn't say about the way they morph file system sharing from release to release...

J

Johan Bengtsson

You don't happen to have a firewall installed and running or something similar on those two machines (W2k and XP)? A friend of mine have XP on his home computer and when we should connect our computers his firewall yelled something about another computer trying to ping it (it was completely all right - that was what I was trying to do) I believe this is something you can get more or less as a standard component and it might not be configured to say anything aloud, just to silently ignore all attempts not directly allowed.

/Johan Bengtsson

Do you need education in the area of automation?
----------------------------------------
P&L, Innovation in training
Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN
Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.pol.se/

G

Greg Goodman

E
M
Just as proof that there was nothing wrong with the hardware. I ditched XP temporarily and installed trusty SuSE. I have not configured Samba before but after half an hour of trying I could browse the shares on the linux box (read only) (I assume lack of write access and the fact that I could only browse the shares while logged on as Administartor are minor issues).

I have never had any trouble networking Windows 9x or NT4. What extra information do you need? (I thought I'd included everything but the kitchen
sink)How do I get it? Bear in mind I have already asked a great many people for help including the author of a best selling Windows book. ...talk about chocolate teapots.

C

Curt Wuollet

Maybe you should see if your application will run under WINE.

Regards

cww
--
Free Tools!
Machine Automation Tools (LinuxPLC) Free, Truly Open & Publicly Owned
Industrial Automation Software For Linux. mat.sourceforge.net.
Day Job: Heartland Engineering, Automation & ATE for Automotive
Rebuilders.
Consultancy: Wide Open Technologies: Moving Business & Automation to
Linux.

Johan's suggestion is absolutely correct and worth checking.

XP has a built in firewall that will stop incoming "pings" unless it's disabled.

You can find this firewall by selecting the "Properties" of the appropriate connection, then selecting the "Advanced" tab.

Make sure it's unchecked or it'll block access on any incoming connection.

Mark Hill
Microsoft Associate eXPert
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/

I realize the 10.x.x.x addresses are attractive, but since I added a WinME crate to my home network I have problems with getting the WINS stuff to work, too. My guess is the ME crate is automatically assigning its own IP address and the sub-net conflicts with the sub-net on my Linux box that's running dhcp and dns.

If you're going to let Windows Networking do it for you, you probably ought to let it do everything, including automatically picking an IP address--don't try assigning fixed 10.x.x.x addresses. You may have to upgrade NT4 to Win2k (or XP if you're brave.)

Best,
B.O. Jan. 23, 2002
--
Robert Old, System Architecture, [email protected]
Siemens Building Technologies, Inc., Building Automation
1000 Deerfield Pkwy., Buffalo Grove, IL 60089-4513 USA
Phone: +1(847)941-5623, Fax: +1(908)547-6544

J

Johan Bengtsson

If ping doesn't work it means your IP configuration doesn't work. Before that is solved between all machines (try all combinations) windows (or any other OS for that matter) can't handle it at all (unless with another protocoll than IP like IPX instead of course)

Make IP work, that is the first step.... Probably most of the rest will just start working after that.

/Johan Bengtsson

Do you need education in the area of automation?
P&L, Innovation in training
Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN
Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.pol.se/

M
This may be a silly question but how?

It is exactly what I have been trying to do for three weeks!!!

It works fine when I replace the Windows XP box with a Linux one and exactly the same configuration. The firewall issue is also one I tried weeks ago.

C
there are several components included with the winnt4 networking services that needs to be present for windows nt4 to funtion properly on a
network together with win 2k, some of these are the workstation service,RAS and server service.
1) make sure the correct protocol (usually TCP/IP is bind to the network adapter. i recomment using just one protocol and remove NetBeui
from all machines.
2)also make sure the three computer are on the same subnet mask.
3)try static ip adressing for two win2k computers leaving out the win xp machine.
4) you can stop the master browser service on one computer by making its setting manual startup. go to control panel-services or
administrative tools-services.
5)do ipconfig /all using command promt and make sure the information there is correct according to your configuration for all machines.

write back for further in formation

collins enow

The old browser war, all it is is the machines trying to work out who should be the master browser, nothing to serious.Turn the browser
service off, it's only used for the network neighbourhood crap.
You won't be able to use net neighbourhoood but who does anyway, you could also search technet for master browser stuff

I have seen these problems and this how I have solved them with Windows XP machines.

1. Remove all networking components (EVERTHING, client for MS network, File and Print sah, etc) and TCP/IP (netsh int ip reset log.txt).

2. Remove your network card (Do not detect it).

3. Rename your machine. Make sure you are in the same workgroup as the other PCs.

4. Restart (let Win XP pick up the NIC drivers)

5. Install all your network components (Client for MS Networks, File and Print sharing, etc).

6. Reboot

7. Login with an account that has administrative priviledges to the other machine. If you are in a aworkgroup, create the same account on the other machine.

8. Access your resources through network neighborhood.

THIS HAS ALWASY WORKED FOR ME, ALWAYS!
If it has helped, pleas drop a line at,
[email protected]
MCSE, MCSE + I, CET, A+, FCC Licensend, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP.