Windows NT 4 Workstation and Personnal Web Server

• Thread starter Vincent QUILLET
  • Start date
V

Vincent QUILLET

Hi all,

I would like to know if anybody has experimented Windows NT 4 Workstation and Personal Web Server.

I need to develop a small Web server that includes automation : 3 axes control, few I/O, 4 RS232 peripherals, ethernet connection for full remote control.

I think that Windows IIS is not necessary as there will be only one or two clients simultaneously.

Is it true ? What are the restrictions using PWS.

I am also looking for a tactile WEB terminal.

Thanks,

Vincent QUILLET
ASAlog
CD 60=20
13320 BOUC BEL AIR (FRANCE)
T=E9l : +33(0)4 42 94 06 87
Fax: +33(0)4 42 94 06 88
[email protected]

E

Edgar F. Hilton

If you are interested in hard real time (less than 50 microsecond resolution) control/monitoring + web hosting + secure shells for remote monitoring and control, I recommend that you take a look at miniRTL (if you want to use either a PC104 system or minimal PC) or RTLinux (if you have a full fledged PC).

Both are available for download at http://www.rtlinux.org

If you simply cannot live without Windows NT, but still require the hard real time capabilities, then consider using RTLinux and running Windows
NT within a product called VMWare (http://www.vmware.com) which runs on top of RTLinux.

For a tactile web terminal, are you referring to something like a braille terminal? If so, you might want to contact the author of miniRTL ([email protected]). He uses a braille terminal for all his work.

I hope that this helps.

-Edgar

--
Edgar F. Hilton FSMLabs, Inc.
voice: 850.893.0300 www.fsmlabs.com
fax: 206.350.4EFH www.rtlinux.com

S

Steve Monnet

Hi Vincent,

The PWS is able to serve Web pages for 2 or 3 simulateous clients (and more!). The limitation you can experiemnt are mainly due to the fact that
the PWS is not able to run script on the server side (CGI, ASP, JavaBean, ...). If your application need these functionalities it could
be a good idea to install Apache web server (you can run it on NT4 WS). It is free (you can download it from the web at the address
:http://httpd.apache.org/dist/Announcement.html).

For a tactile web terminal you can use any PC/mac with a touch panel added on the screen. If you need a complete box have a look at :
http://www.idelec.ch.

Best regards

S.Monnet

V

Vincent QUILLET

Hi Edgar,

>If you are interested in hard real time (less than 50 microsecond
>resolution) control/monitoring + web hosting + secure shells for remote
>monitoring and control, I recommend that you take a look at miniRTL (if
>you want to use either a PC104 system or minimal PC) or RTLinux (if you
>have a full fledged PC).

I don't need hard real time control, only synchronise periphals (100 ms is enough and eventualy longer is acceptable). The robot is independant and communicate with the server.

>For a tactile web terminal, are you referring to something like a
>braille terminal? If so, you might want to contact the author of
>miniRTL ([email protected]). He uses a braille terminal for all his
>work.

Sorry I don't need a braille terminal, but thank you for this information. By tactile terminal, I mean touch screen with keyboard emulation.

Regards

Vincent

V

Vincent QUILLET

Hi Steve,

You wrote :
>
> The PWS is able to serve Web pages for 2 or 3 simulateous clients (and
> more!). The limitation you can experiemnt are mainly due to the fact that
> the PWS is not able to run script on the server side (CGI, ASP,
> JavaBean, ...).

I don't agree with you, I have tried PWS few weeks ago, and ASP was working !
I have followed examples of the book 'Active Server Pages 2.0' edited by Wrox.

But I agree that some versions of PWS (one is in the FrontPage 97 bonus pack) don't include ASP.
I read that some functions of ASP are not supported, but I don't know which.

I am now convinced that PWS is not recommended to run 24/24 7/7 applications. Only trial.

>For a tactile web terminal you can use any PC/mac with a touch panel
>added on the screen.

I am looking for something like industrial touch screen terminal with Windows CE and Microsoft Explorer embedded; cost is one of the main
argument.

Thanks and regards.

Vincent

M

Manny Hellstern

Vince:

I used PWS as a development machine for a web application that was migrated to IIS. I found the following with PWS:

1. You are limited to only 10 users with PWS (this is by design)
2. PWS was a little quirky in that, if I turned the machine on PWS would start automatically as expected but a client could not access the
application until I accessed it first using the web server computer as the client. I haven't seen this behavior on IIS. It may be something I'm
doing since this was my first web application but I thought I'd give you a heads up anyway.

Manny Hellstern
Mustang Engineering
Houston, TX

M

Mufeed A. Al-Ghumgham

Dear sir,
For what kind of application you are planning to use this Hardware?
Regards
Mufeed

V

Vincent QUILLET

The application is robotic, with Access data base, and web designed HMI (HTML and ASP). Also remote access and remote control via ethernet and ISDN are needed.

You can figure something like an automated cash machine.

Regards

Vincent QUILLET

R
> I am looking for something like industrial touch screen terminal with Windows CE and Microsoft Explorer embedded; cost is one of the main argument.<

If you need a touch screen with full keyboard emulation and one that runs Windows NT or other (it is a PC) you may want to consider the Siemens
PC670 12" or 15" touch.

Ron