WinNT and AB comms

D

David

Dear list
I wonder if someone could help me please.
I've been happily using RSLinx comms on Win98 but I've just put a different hard disk in my laptop running NT4. I want to use an RS232 DF1 driver but when I try to add it in Linx I get the message
"RSLinx failed to configure the COM port (the COM port may already be in use)". I suspect this is due to my lack of knowledge of NT rather than Linx but I don't believe I'm using COM1 for
anything else! I know the COM port itself is ok because it works fine with Win98. Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards David

Check the service pack you are using. I think there were problem with SP4 and RSLinx.

Cheers
Allan Dow

F

Fred Chwalek

Check to see that no other applications are running using that com port, maybe from your startup folder. Look in Task Manager, (CTL
ALT DEL, Task Manager.)

D

David Lawton Mars

Allan
Thanks for your response. I eventually tracked the problem to the fact COM1 BIOS settings didn't match my port settings in control panel (BIOS IRQ4, port IRQ15). Considering I bought the PC with everything pre-installed I'm not too happy it was set up wrong in the first place to be honest (black mark for Dell).
As soon as I put the IRQ4 in BIOS - bingo! Nothing to do with Linx after all.
Just thought I'd feed that back to the group in case anyone else has a similar problem.
Cheers
David

R

Ranjan Acharya

We had a similar situation the other day with a COM port being seized by another package.

Look for a Palm Pilot link, downloader to another PLC or something like that taking the COM port even if it is not active. Look carefully at your
control package, do you have a Palm Pilot link (re-assign the COM port or disable / remove the service) ? Do you use Siemens S7 programming tools that take control of COM1 for an MPI link (disable MPI, only allow PROFIBUS or Ethernet) ? ...

Could be any "serial appliance" (sorry about the "a" buzz word) ...

RJ