Wire naming standards

D

DJK

I have someone built two panels for me. The power supply in main panel has its own numbers. But when they get to other panel, they get different set of wire numbers. The reason is that each panel has its own drawing set.
Is there a wire naming standard out there for engineers to fellow?

How did you make your panel-builder aware the two (2) panels would be powered by the same source? So they would know the power supply wiring should have the same wire numbers?

Did you confirm with your panel-builder that they understood the power source for the two (2) panels would be the same source and you wanted them to use the same wire numbers for both panels?

Have you so damaged your relationship with your panel-builder that they won't change wire numbers on one set of drawings for you?

If your panel-builder provided electronic copies of the panel drawings do you not have the capability to change wire numbers on a set of drawings?

What did your written specification to your panel-builder indicate about the power source(s)?

What did your written specification to your panel-builder say about drawing changes?

In short, did you not feel you had any responsibility to ensure your panel-builder knew--and more importantly, understood--all the details of something as important as the power source(s)

The panel builder had corrected the naming problem. As for the spec. there was no where mentioned about power source wiring.

My question is that keeping the same wire number throughout the system, a common sense practice or a code or standard requirement?

Seems like the panel builder just made two "identical" panels--especially since there was no specification about power supply. Generally, one would think two panels would get separate power supply sources, so that opening a single supply switch/breaker would not power down more than one panel.

Have you asked the panel-builder want the rationale was?

Seems like such a small inconsequential detail,especially since the "problem" has already been rectified.

As for code or standard, good practice would dictate <b>if the panel-builder was aware of a single power source</b> that a common wire number would be used.

B

Bob Peterson

There are many conventions out there. Some people start over again and reuse wire numbers for every enclosure on a project, others make wire numbers completely unique on a project.

We have a customer that to make sure wire numbers are completely unique in their entire plant have 13 digit wire numbers. The 6 digit prefix ties the wire number to a particular enclosure. the rest of the wire number is a conventional wire number either generated from the index number of the drawing or the I/O.

Bob Peterson,

In the case of your 13-character wire number there was a specification provided that you understood and followed.

B

Bob Peterson

The point is that if you leave it up to someone else they will follow whatever practice they choose to rather than what you might want. if you want something specific you need to make that clear up front.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

Thank you both for the replies. I'll put wire naming convention in the specification next time for the panel builder to follow.