Wireless communications

B

Bob Peterson

I am currently involved in a system that will require some form of wireless communications between a base station and some movable gantry cranes.

My first inclination was to look at some Radiolinx or Dat-Linc ethernet modems, but they seem oriented around comm paths that are miles distant. i am looking at something for a few hundred feet.

Now I am thinking maybe the answer might be just common wi-fi equipment, maybe in an industrialized version. It will be located deep in the bowels of a factory, with no connection to the outside world, just the three AB SLC5/05 processors and an HMI.

Just curious what some of your experiences with wireless comms might be. I hate to spend a lot of money to solve a simple problem when less money might solve it just as well.

Dear Bob,

Check out http://www.cirronet.com/industrial.htm

They offer a wide variety of wireless products. We're considering using their products to set up communications between a number of sts-cranes.

Or you could use Breezecom
http://www.breezezom.com

We've had some good experiences using the Breezecom transceivers at distances up to 200 metres, although their products are not entirely meant for industrial use (i.e. no din-rail mounting etc.).

Regards,

Paul Vosselmans
TES Industrial Systems B.V.

For cost/performance, you can’t beat Wi-Fi. Even the more expensive access points at around $300 with an external antenna are still a good deal.

-CH

D

Donald Pittendrigh

Hello Bob and others

We have been using Breezenet for several years now at a few different plants, to make communications between the ground based substations and stacker/reclaimers and shiploaders. The breezenet product has given superior quality comms and reliability. There are several technical reasons for this which are rooted in the way the radio side works and how it deals with line of sight problems.

With the coming to the market of 802.11G products from several different manufacturers, we now seem to have entered a new era in radio communications in what has been dubbed NLOS or non-line of sight radio comms. Once again there are many technical reasons for it however I am testing a Dlink 802.11g access point at present, I have it set up in my office, and can move freely around, even outside my house, with my laptop and have good communications with my office network at 54Mbps. That without taking any special measures regarding aerials.

Take a look at Breezenet and Alvarion for 802.11g products, you should find what you are looking for there.

Regards Donald Pittendrigh