Wireless through steel boat

G

greg maclellan

I'm looking for a way to connect some monitoring equipment in the upper part of a boat to a control system located in the lower hull (3 decks down). Since the boat is made of steel, and each compartment is entirely sealed, what options are there for wireless technology to connect equipment?

The client wants to avoid drilling any holes in walls/floors, as they are required to be completely sealed, and mean creating engineering drawings, coast guard inspections, etc.

The sensors will likely be RS232/485, but may just output 4-20mA.

M

Marc Sinclair

greg

Does the ship have a common power supply? I know that data over power is limited, and that the
supply is likely to be odd voltage and frequency, but it might be worth researching if the power is
already conduited and approved.

marc sinclair

C

Curt Wuollet

Sounds pretty grim for wireless radio. And I think that's bulkheads and decks :^). I'd check into X10 type (power subcarrier) equipment, but I think you'll have to see what you can pull through existing wiring spaces. Perhaps fiber.

Regards

cww

C
Greg:
Steel hulls make for problems.
I have used Kemlon feed through connectors for high pressure and high temperature isolators.
www.kemlon.com/
I do not know if they will meet CG regulations.

Power line communications seem like your best bet.

A module called a PLIX can be sourced to provide an interface to the powerline.
good luck
Clark

P

Pat Gonia Honeywell

Make sure the seals are not entirely metallic. If there are some materials e.g. seals around doors that can "leak" RF, you can probably use an industrial radio to deliver info. Various options are available on the market.

Pat Gonia

This is an easy one. There are various mfg's that make wireless 232 and 4-20. If they go through concrete walls, trees, steel etc, then 3 boat level made of steel should be do-able. The size may be a little large, but Omnex makes some good stuff. FHSS 900Mhz has better penetration, with speed tradoff. There are others too.

[email protected]

Yes! I agree with Curt try the fiber route
and look for retail wireless access points
and bridges that can be velcroed to steel cabin walls.

Fiber couplings from Panduit and Nordx.com
and maybe Phoenix etc. are all getting cheaper.
Google for more info. I used a 3com NIC that
was fiber ready about 7 years ago. You'll
have to make a decision on a fiber coupling supplier
there are a few propriety systems out there.

Mike