writing VB code for access to read comm port 1

R

Randy

i am working on a project using MS access as my data base, and i need access to be able to read comm port 1 to get RFID tag # and be able to pull up the account associated to that tag number. this is all really new to me as i have had no classes on any of this and have been struggling to get and understanding of what i need to do. is there anyone who can help me out with this? i know that in MS access VB is there and the code can be wrote there. i just don't have any programming experience.

please help

Unless this is a project to learn programming you will be much better served to go the other way.
Who/what has the information? Some readers can be configured to put data into a csv file.

Do they support a known protocol, like Modbus or is it ASCII? If ASCII Hyperterm and a Macro can likely do it.

Begin by getting that information into some form that you can handle like comma separated variable (csv).

Check with softwaretoolbox.com to see if they have something to do it for you that you can purchase.

C
It can be done but.....There is some pretty advanced programming involved.

Using VBA you will have to call out to the Windows API communication object for communications and then query the database with code.